University of Tasmania Online Courses

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I think I need the course as another line of defence against all the misunderstanding around.
I spoke to someone yesterday, a thoughtful person, she had no idea that Dementia is not one illness.
I explained the differerences and needs simply.
I think theory is a bit like a dictionary it provides the words but not great novels or poetry.

I winced at the thought of the next course title too, my husband is like many, he was strong, fit, clever, adaptable, adventurous. However it it helps to combat the climate for one cap fits all, points out the dangers it could be useful to all us Warriors against the illness.

In the sixties we knew a very very old wisened, some said he was 90, he still did hedging and ditching. He was so sunburned his skin was like leather, he smoked Churchmans Old Shag, one whiff had the rest of us choking.
What would health advisors say to that!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I agree that the theory is different from reality. Having said that I found it useful to try to step back in order to understand the theory before launching back into reality. I did both courses when Bill was alive.
So true and I feel as if I am in two parallel worlds, the comforting world of abstract information and the real world of living with someone who is experiencing the effects of those changes. If I see one more comment on the discussion thread on what the experts recommend to minimise the possibility of having dementia, I shall burst. It is common sense and may be true on average but I can’t believe enough large scale studies or enough people with dementia identified to make statements which make people think that if they exercise, keep normal weight, eat so-called expensive super foods, avoid alcohol, that will work. They may well be healthy individuals but genetics will out and that counts for most diseases. Whew that feels better!
@AliceA yes indeed. My husband is the same, very fit and high functioning but struck down by this late in life, no obvious risk factors at all. He is still a physically well man and all his changes are due to the shrinkage in his brain, just like the man said in module 1a.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Started a book called the end of Alzheimer's a few days ago. Not sure where it will go but the author says the beta amyloid does not cause Alzheimer's but caused by Alzheimer's.

Alzheimerhelp

Feb 25, 2019
Hi Tryagain,

Agreed, the Amyloid beta is in response to the persons environment and it is the brain attempting to protect itself. Dr Bredesen (Author of the book you have mentioned) has started a program called Recode. It seems to have favourable results if the program is started as early as possible.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have now completed the course and got a splendid course certificate for my efforts. I have got a much clearer understanding of dementia in all its forms and I am coping better with the Alzheimer’s that my husband has. In fact, by the time I had finished the course my attitude of despair and cynicism had changed to one of greater understanding and I felt that I had been given the tools to carry on as the disease progresses. I still have meltdown moments when his irrationality defeats me. He claims that he could ‘climb a mountain’, when he is barely capable of moving from his chair without claiming that he is feeling dizzy and unwell. I would recommend this course to anyone who is caring for a person with dementia, it answers a lot of questions that come up as the miserable days go on and to a certain extent gives you the information to help you face the difficult behaviour. That said, you are alone 24/7 dealing with this, not a member of a team all supporting each other and having time off and get very emotionally tired and physically exhausted. Talking Point is our support team so I guess we have to be thankful for this.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
When I did the course I found that it really showed how that saying "It's the disease" is true.

When working 1 to 1 the meltdowns will occur because of the physical and emotional toil of it all but, since completing the course, I have found it easier to remind myself that "It's the disease" and calmly get back to getting on with things.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well; done those who completed the course. I`m afraid I couldn`t concentrate and gave up at the first hurdle.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Well; done those who completed the course. I`m afraid I couldn`t concentrate and gave up at the first hurdle.
I can quite understand why you had trouble concentrating. I had a period of time in the morning when he had started sleeping in late, body clock all over the place, and I used to do it while I was fresh. This is also a consequence of not being able to leave him as much. I have posted about the main things I learned, and taking a palliative approach is the most helpful. I still find the mixed messages that come out of the diseased brain difficult and the disease effects takes my breath away.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

I did my first one (Understanding Dementia) when Bill was still alive. I never slept well and I used to do it on my Macbook in the early hours of the morning. I did the second one (Preventing Dementia) last year. I had more time to devote to the second one but I confess I went through it quite quickly. I was prepared to be annoyed by the second one but I wasn't. I enjoyed both.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I empathise, Sylvia, I found the first module did need a lot of concentration, however the further two were much easier I felt on home ground. I passed very easily indeed, I was very surprised.

I think the main point this that it confirmed so much that it gives weight to what many find on here in practice. It was made to be very user friendly, even a game of hangman to help one spell a word correctly.
The interviews were extremely good as it was a good way to learn, the text was available too.

I have enrolled in the Preventing Dementia too, the last course explained why one could not prevent but again I hope it may give some replies to those well meaning people who offer simple solutions.
On May 20 there is a course with Future Learn on giving medicine to those with dysphagia, I am not sure but again I hope it will help as a swallow issue is so common. It is that that means I cannot leave my husband on his own. He now coughs on anything.
If I was in your position I may not have bothered as it was hard to fit in, but for many on TP it may help to have more knowledge if it is all new to them. I did have a little pre-experience.

However to not to feel one has to do it probably the better path. Time is short for us all. Xxx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have enrolled in the Preventing Dementia too
I have decided to enroll for this too. I agree with you and all the articles in the papers about preventing dementia are misleading and I usually put a comment on to that effect and get quite a lot of support. Probably from people looking after a person with the disease who know the situation first hand..

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I will stick to continuing with the PROTECT study which is measuring how the healthy brain ages.
I`m not sure how long I`ve been taking part in this study, at least since 2016 , and I hope it will make some form of contribution to research.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have decided to enroll for this too. I agree with you and all the articles in the papers about preventing dementia are misleading and I usually put a comment on to that effect and get quite a lot of support. Probably from people looking after a person with the disease who know the situation first hand..

I will 'see' you on the course:) x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I will stick to continuing with the PROTECT study which is measuring how the healthy brain ages.
I`m not sure how long I`ve been taking part in this study, at least since 2016 , and I hope it will make some form of contribution to research.

It sounds a good study, what amazed me was learning that studies of the brain showed some with brain damage had no symptoms of dementia, others had symptoms but no brain damage to cause the dementia behaviour. It will be interesting to hear what is suggested by PROTECT.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
I completed the course a few weeks ago. I found it helpful on many levels.
1) Listening to experts talking to each other made it easier to take information in, as opposed to written text.
2) Having a better understanding of the different types of Dementia gave “a face” to the illness my mother has. I cannot explain why but emotionally I have felt better since doing this course and learning about my enemy.
3) The chat forums provided food for thought and allowed me to raise a few points

I would say if you gave the time do this course. Personal opinion but it helped me out of feelings of isolation, helplessness, etc.

Can I also recommend the several Dementia courses at Future Learn. Not so intense but a few of the Carers participating give frank and helpful advice. Free course admission, plenty of helpful information sources and made me think about some of the future problems I may face. Took some of the uncertainty away by showing me likely future problems, but with advice on how to prepare. I find uncertainty about the future my biggest cause of anxiety. Seeing how others coped as best they could helped me to ground some of that anxiety.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I did the course too, I felt it gave me more confidence, I have signed for the next preventing dementia. It is possibly about slowing it down as we all know there is not a magic bullet. The team were amazing and I found that the research was made understandable.