University of Tasmania Online Courses

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
These have been mentioned a few times. I thought I would add the link again as enrolment is still open for one course and the opportunity is there to express interest for another -

https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses

I think a few members have done the courses and have found them useful. I've did the Understaning Dementia one in 2014. I've just signed up for the Preventing Dementia one. I'm not so sure about the idea of 'preventing' dementia but the first course was so good that I thought it worth taking a look at this. The courses are online and free.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I have also joined this one. No doubt being sedentary, overweight, stressful and not sleeping well there is no hope for me ;)

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have also joined this one. No doubt being sedentary, overweight, stressful and not sleeping well there is no hope for me ;)

I used to work with a brilliantly clever man, a consultant pathologist, very thin and always on the go. He got dementia. My dad was a very clever man, slim and very strong and capable of anything. Always doing something. He has dementia.

It's pot luck. Eat, drink and be merry I say.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I did the Understanding Dementia one earlier this year. It was very interesting and informative, but I did leave everything to the last second, never mind last minute, but well worth the time. I don’t have the time at the moment to think about doing another but wish everyone doing one of the courses good luck.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you do the course you will learn, amongst other things, that potentially modifiable risk factors, that include lifestyle factors, only account for some 35% of the risk factors relating to dementia.

By definition, good choices may help with that 35% but the other factors are somewhat beyond our control. In other words, you can improve the odds but you won't guarantee the outcome.

It's a great course.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've just signed up for Preventing Dementia. Thanks @Izzy for bringing it to my attention X

Well done. I may see you around it. There's a section where participants can join in online discussion. The course starts when I'm away I holiday do I'll have to be focused and make sure I fund a bit of time to do it when I'm away!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi @Izzy
The course starts on the day we go away for a few days so I too will be struggling to fit it in!
Looking forward to it though
Lindy xx

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Don’t worry if you don’t start on the appointed day. When I did the other course I didn’t start it until the last unit had been released. I managed to complete it all within the time limit, not necessarily to be recommended as it was a cram, but doable. They did extend the deadline twice for some reason but I didn’t take notice of the new dates because I wanted to get it finished.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I only started the course today. It was unrealistic to Think would do it on holiday! I’ve done the first module as am enjoying it.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
These have been mentioned a few times. I thought I would add the link again as enrolment is still open for one course and the opportunity is there to express interest for another -

https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses

I think a few members have done the courses and have found them useful. I've did the Understaning Dementia one in 2014. I've just signed up for the Preventing Dementia one. I'm not so sure about the idea of 'preventing' dementia but the first course was so good that I thought it worth taking a look at this. The courses are online and free.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi

I was just about to post that link for the Tasmania Uni Wicking Centre. I have completed both these courses and found the useful.
Understaning Dementia
Preventing Dementia

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I started this week, I was up very early to fit in some work on it.
It is fascinating, but apart from that it is doing me good to be back studying.
I think it may allow us to speak with more authority too.
I do hope others will join there is time and it is very clearly explained.
It is a seven week course spread over ten week to allow for odd times out.
They say it takes about Three hours a week.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Not so, I am very cynical about all the healthy living to avoid this disease and that. That’s just common sense. My husband lived the healthy life, never overweight, exercised all his life, was using his brain until the year before diagnosis writing scientific reviews, ate all those super foods and although alcohol has become a problem with dementia he was only ever a regular social drinker. So that he should develop dementia has shocked us all. I am the reverse like you!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
This is what I wrote on my thread and repeated here. I am enjoying the Understanding Dementia course because it is abstract and at an arms length from the coal face. It has irritated me in some ways because of that although I am only at the beginning, because it all seems so rational quite unlike dementia which is the opposite.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree that the theory is different from reality. Having said that I found it useful to try to step back in order to understand the theory before launching back into reality. I did both courses when Bill was alive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson