University of Tasmania Online Courses

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've just signed up for 'Preventing Dementia' and expressed an interest in the next session of 'Understanding Dementia.'
I'm deaf and I read in a BBC article that was an indicator of a higher level of risk, I'd be interested to see if that gets touched on

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @Sarasa your article sounds so interesting. I would love to sign up to understanding dementia too :) Anything that helps others helps us at the same time as I think it makes us feel valued (well it does me)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Sarasa your article sounds so interesting. I would love to sign up to understanding dementia too :) Anything that helps others helps us at the same time as I think it makes us feel valued (well it does me)

I’ve done both courses and thoroughly enjoyed them. As you say - makes you think!

EdgsonW

Jan 14, 2018
Bath
I am doing the Understanding Course for the simple reason that we went to Tasmania as ten pound Pommies fifty plus years ago so I wondered how they had progressed down there. Loved it, My Dearest made the paper headlines then arriving in a mini skirt and we still miss the mutton chops that the cafe's served for breakfast. The course takes me away from lonely evenings now.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
I can vouch from my own experience the understanding dementia course is very informative and useful. Those by the university of Newcastle are also useful, dealing more with the emotional stresses of caring. No silver bullets on either course, but they helped me. I find caring for my mum an odd combination of stressful moments, laced with background anxiety, combined with mind numbing boredom at times. Friends long gone, conversations having to constantly stir round delicate issues. The courses have taught me tools to use when I am a little down, self reliance being so important. Hope you all stay well on this lonely and emotionally hard journey.