1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

University of Tasmania Online Courses

Discussion in 'Helpful websites' started by Izzy, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    These have been mentioned a few times. I thought I would add the link again as enrolment is still open for one course and the opportunity is there to express interest for another -

https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses

I think a few members have done the courses and have found them useful. I've did the Understaning Dementia one in 2014. I've just signed up for the Preventing Dementia one. I'm not so sure about the idea of 'preventing' dementia but the first course was so good that I thought it worth taking a look at this. The courses are online and free.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Izzy. It sounds interesting .

3. try again

try again Registered User

Jun 21, 2018
    I have also joined this one. No doubt being sedentary, overweight, stressful and not sleeping well there is no hope for me ;)

4. Duggies-girl

Duggies-girl Registered User

Sep 6, 2017
    I used to work with a brilliantly clever man, a consultant pathologist, very thin and always on the go. He got dementia. My dad was a very clever man, slim and very strong and capable of anything. Always doing something. He has dementia.

It's pot luck. Eat, drink and be merry I say.

5. Rolypoly

Rolypoly Registered User

Jan 15, 2018
    I did the Understanding Dementia one earlier this year. It was very interesting and informative, but I did leave everything to the last second, never mind last minute, but well worth the time. I don’t have the time at the moment to think about doing another but wish everyone doing one of the courses good luck.

6. karaokePete

karaokePete Volunteer Host

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    Cyprus
    If you do the course you will learn, amongst other things, that potentially modifiable risk factors, that include lifestyle factors, only account for some 35% of the risk factors relating to dementia.

By definition, good choices may help with that 35% but the other factors are somewhat beyond our control. In other words, you can improve the odds but you won't guarantee the outcome.

It's a great course.

7. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    I've just signed up for Preventing Dementia. Thanks @Izzy for bringing it to my attention X

8. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Well done. I may see you around it. There's a section where participants can join in online discussion. The course starts when I'm away I holiday do I'll have to be focused and make sure I fund a bit of time to do it when I'm away!

9. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    Hi @Izzy
    The course starts on the day we go away for a few days so I too will be struggling to fit it in!
    Looking forward to it though
    Lindy xx

10. Rolypoly

Rolypoly Registered User

Jan 15, 2018
    Don’t worry if you don’t start on the appointed day. When I did the other course I didn’t start it until the last unit had been released. I managed to complete it all within the time limit, not necessarily to be recommended as it was a cram, but doable. They did extend the deadline twice for some reason but I didn’t take notice of the new dates because I wanted to get it finished.

11. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
  12. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I only started the course today. It was unrealistic to Think would do it on holiday! I’ve done the first module as am enjoying it.