Undoing wheelchair belt buckle.

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Chunky, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Chunky

Chunky Registered User

Mar 18, 2016
    My OH constantly fiddles with the wheelchair belt buckle until it comes undone. Has anyone experienced this and found a remedy? Earlier she was undoing the car belt and standing up but hopefully a buckle guard that I have ordered will overcome this but is no use for the wheelchair belt.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Can you get onto the wheelchair supplier @Chunky and ask if a safety device is available.

I`m thinking about young people with special educational needs who use wheelchairs and there might be a device available to keep them safe.

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    @Chunky - I wondered if you have any involvement with and Occupational Therapist. If so I think an OT might be able to advise on what might be best for this.,

4. Chunky

Chunky Registered User

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks, another member has suggested contacting the OT and will start there.

5. Chunky

Chunky Registered User

Mar 18, 2016

6. Chunky

Chunky Registered User

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks, will contact OT.

7. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    What about a tray for the wheelchair? My mother's chair had a tray/table which prevented her from trying to stand but didn't upset her.

8. Chunky

Chunky Registered User

Mar 18, 2016
    Sounds good thanks, will see if can be done.

9. TNJJ

TNJJ Registered User

May 7, 2019
    You can also get wheelchair straps that go around like a parachute.But OT can advise.

10. Chunky

Chunky Registered User

Mar 18, 2016
    I know what you mean since our younger daughter is severely disabled but unfortunately I don't think the restraint would go down well with OH, but thanks for the suggestion.