understanding people

lindac57

Sep 26, 2009
norfolk uk
i started working in dementia care this year it is new to me although i have worked in care for years i want a better understanding that will help me to help the people i care for emotionally and physically and their families .

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Welcome to TP.

It is always good when someone wants to go the extra mile, especially when it is related to dementia care.

Hope that TP will prove to be useful for you. Thank you.

Dgirl

Sep 6, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
You could try reading the book Contented Dementia by Oliver James. It explains how people with dementia remember things and tips and tricks for combating aggitation. I think its a great book and could be very useful for families and carers especially if the ideas are adopted as early as possible. Unfortunately its a bit late for my mum but some of the tips still work some of the time.

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
You've come to the right place if you want to get a better understanding of this disease! 10 minutes every now and again reading through some of the post shold help you no end! I have found this site to be fantastic!

Its really nice that you are wanting to go that extra mile to help out x x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Linda

Personally I think it is essential that people working with dementia have the best possible training and I believe that spending a good amount of time reading Talking Point would aid in the ability to understand a lot more a lot quicker. It would take an enormous amount of time to listen to this wide a range of people and situations out there in the world.

I believe that it should be a standard part of training to read (rather than post). It could eventually lead to a country that has many places of excellence:)

Wishing you well and hoping that you will recommend your colleagues follow suit.

Love and very best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger