Underfunding of Care Homes

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Get real running a Nursing Home is a business first and foremost. Is there a difference between a Care Home and NH? These private owners are in it for profit. They'll soon pack in if they make a loss.
Is this guy asking the taxpayer to cough up to subsidize keep his business? Large companies own many Nursing Homes and run them at a good profit for their shareholders. It's big business and growing.

Nursing Homes should be run by local authorities on an a non profit basis and pay staff a proper wage. They would be then accountable to the local residents. Just my opinion.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Agreed. My mum was in four care homes, as I attempted to find a decent one. Not an excellent one, just a good enough one. Either I chose very badly indeed (four times) or care home standards aren't high enough. :(

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Agreed. My mum was in four care homes, as I attempted to find a decent one. Not an excellent one, just a good enough one. Either I chose very badly indeed (four times) or care home standards aren't high enough. :(

No piedwarbler, you didn't choose badly, care home standards aren't high enough. Finding a decent one is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Exactly, in it for profit and I could not agree more, they should be run on a non-profit basis.

If they were not making a profit you would not see them for dust!!

One of the biggest providers in the country has no shareholders and pays no divdends. Any surpluses are reinvested to provide customers and residents with better services.

You can make up your own mind if they are any better than those that operate as a normal business.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Get real running a Nursing Home is a business first and foremost. Is there a difference between a Care Home and NH? These private owners are in it for profit. They'll soon pack in if they make a loss.
Is this guy asking the taxpayer to cough up to subsidize keep his business? Large companies own many Nursing Homes and run them at a good profit for their shareholders. It's big business and growing.

Nursing Homes should be run by local authorities on an a non profit basis and pay staff a proper wage. They would be then accountable to the local residents. Just my opinion.

Same for personal care at home. Take the profits out and pay the workers, or at least upgrade the job to reflect the responsibilities and weed out the unskilled timeservers.