uncle tom ..broken hip

danielle

Apr 9, 2005
Hi
Been at the hospital for the best part of 2 days
After all what Uncle Tom has been through in the last few weeks he fell yesterday and broke his hip...
I was completley gutted
To make it worse i found out that he had tried to get out of bed when he fell and he was able to do this as the cot sides had been left down.
When i questioned this i was told .........wait for it !!!
"We have to ask the patient if they want the cot sides up or down"
They stated that it is rather a grey area but has to be adhered to... Blah Blah Blah......whatever...
Im afraid to say i lost it completley... with the staff it was not the first time he had fallen and how do they expect a extremly confused person to fully understand the safty aspects :mad:
Does anyone else have experience of this nature?
Anyway........
Uncle Tom had op today and thankfully it has all gone according to plan with no complications will hopefully have clearer picture in the morning.
So Fingers crossed......
Take Care thanks for listening
Danni x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Danielle, so sorry to hear of Uncle Tom's accident. You must have been so worried, as well as being furious. I know about the 'grey area' over beds and bars. NO COMMENT. Keep us posted as to how your dear uncle progresses.

Sent you a P.M. on 1-5. Hope it was of some help. It was about EPA. Regards Connie

danielle

Apr 9, 2005
Uncle Tom

Thanks Connie
Yes your message did help ;)
Just Posted back to you.
Sorry for delay but my Brain has been on over drive this week and as my kids keep informing me........ i think its turned to mashed potato..... Everything else seems to have taken (once again) a back seat. :eek:
It seems to be ruling my life.
Take Care will keep you posted
Thanks again...
Danni x

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
HI DANNI just when you think things cannot get any worse ,then they do ,it a crazy world with rules and regulations for dementia patents ,when i complained abou the assesment ward allowing JIM to get up and walk on his own ,when he had not done this for years,(he was falling every day )they said they could not restrain him ,if he wanted to walk ,i was only asking them to hold his arm whilst walking ,but no could not give him 1 to1 now ,a month later he is in same place long term and he is sat with legs up on recliner so he cant get up and fall ,i dont mind this it makes sense but i want to move him about during my visits as i think he is in the same possition all day ,now i am not allowed to move him myself even though there is not enough staff for them to keep moving regular ,i said they were now restraining him by keeping him in the chair and he is now imobile after 4 weeks there ,i think they try there best under very difficult circumstances, but it is surprising what they can do when it suits them .hope things get better for TOM,STAY STRONG .ANGELA

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Danni, do I!! Afraid it is happenning all over the country too. Happened to my Mum. Glad the op was a success, hope all goes well for a speedy recovery. I contacted PALS, patient liason service, address in our fact sheets I believe or else the help desk will know. I also contacted my MP. I know it doesn't make it better for your uncle, but all we can do is keep lobbying for better care that appreciates the special needs of dementia patients. Love She. XX :mad:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Danni,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and your family. Your Uncle Tom has had to endure so much. He is so lucky to have you on his side!

Take care,

Sandy

danielle

Apr 9, 2005
Uncle Tom

Thanks for messages :)

I posted a message on here last night and had a real good whinge... only to find it has dissapeared today... weird... :confused:

Uncle Tom has developed (as we suspected) another chest infection
Hopfully the iv antibiotics will kick in and do their job.

Apparantly this IS common in the elderly who suffer broken bones and he has always suffered with his chest.

Going to hospital in morning hopefully will get more information on whats happening...

Had day off from visiting today..... Spent day with kids.

Thanks again

Danni x

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Danielle, not all that sure about messages deleting, but under yours it does say deleted by you, did you accidentally press a wrong option do you think. Why not write again, tell us your beefs, dont bottle em, think you did right to have a day with your kids, love She. XX