Unaware he can't stand unaided

judyri

Mar 2, 2010
I've just had another call from the hospital to say my uncle has fallen by the side of his bed. Again.

The problem is that as he's unaware of his left side, he keels over really easily unless someone is with him and he has something to hold on to. Unfortunately, he's also unaware that he's unaware, so he doesn't ring the call button for help. He's agile enough to swing his legs over the side of the bed, but after that it's downhill.

What I'm wondering is how on earth a care home is going to be able to cope with this once he's discharged ? The hospital have him positioned right opposite the nurses' station so they can keep an eye on him, but if he has his own room, he's not going to be under that level of supervision. I know there are buzzer pads that can go by the side of the bed to alert staff once someone has tried to get out of bed, but that's not going to prevent a fall in the first place.

I'm sure this isn't a new problem, but really wondering does anyone know how it can be managed safely ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I know there are buzzer pads that can go by the side of the bed to alert staff once someone has tried to get out of bed, but that's not going to prevent a fall in the first place.

Lowered profile bed with one side against a wall and an alarmed mattress on the floor on the other.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum had an infra-red alarm so that as soon as her foot went over the side of the bed it went off- much earlier than with a normal pressure mat. She also took a long time shifting herself to a sitting position at the side of the bed so the carers got there before she tried to get up

Tired Team Leader

Aug 2, 2018
Scotland
Hopefully, when he moves to a care home he won't spend all day in his bed and will spend more time in communal areas. If the CH is good then they will have a system in place for people at risk of falling. The infra-red alarm that @canary mentions is one of the best early-alert systems. Also, they should have beds, or be able to provide a bed, that goes almost to floor level, so along with a crash mat and pressure sensor the worst he should do is simply roll out of bed. Also, the care home should assess him for the safest way to mobilise him immediately upon his arrival, guided by how the hospital have mobilised him. I hate to say anything against hospitals but I don't think they have done much to reduce your uncles risk of falling. Also, in the care home he should be given a buzzer which goes around his neck so that even if he did fall, he can alert staff quickly.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Also, in the care home he should be given a buzzer which goes around his neck so that even if he did fall, he can alert staff quickly.

I'm not too sure about that. My husband had one on a belt and thought it was a toy and played with it. I suspect there are few people with dementia, who are at the stage necessitating a care home, who would have the presence of mind to press a button if they fell out of bed.

When he was at home my husband also forgot he needed help walking and fell out of bed nightly, even though I was with him. He didn't fall, he slid , and I had to call for help to get him up.

In the care home he was given a profile bed which was low to the ground and as you said @Tired Team Leader was always in the communal living room during the daytime where he was well supervised.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad is exactly the same @judyri. He's in hospital at the moment, in a bed near the nurses station where they can keep an eye on him.

I'm also worried about how falls will be prevented as, even with an alarm, dad is capable of getting up - but not standing up...

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Also, in the care home he should be given a buzzer which goes around his neck so that even if he did fall, he can alert staff quickly.

I do wonder why this is thought of as a workable solution for PWD, my mum is in sheltered extra care flat (assisted living) and so is still fairly independent. When I tried to explain to her about the red button on her wall 4 years ago she didn't have a clue, and I can't imagine she'd prss the one they have now given her to wear. They were very pleased when they told me they'd now persuaded her to wear it, I've never seen it on her yet. Even if she did remember what it was for, she wouldn't press it as she wouldn't like to bother anyone and 'someone will be along soon'.

judyri

Mar 2, 2010
My uncle has a buzzer right next to him in the bed ... but won't press it, and it would be exactly the same with one round his neck because he doesn't recognise the things he can't do, so doesn't know he needs help doing them.

The reason he's in bed so much is because he sleeps a large amount of the time. Being helped to get up, washed, dressed, breakfast is enough to tire him out and he asks to go back in bed to sleep because he's not comfortable sleeping in the chair. He's never been a "communal" person. Being forced to sit in a day lounge all day with other people would make him deeply unhappy, and he'd far prefer to spend his waking time in quieter surroundings.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
All the bedrooms in my mother's care room have a pull cord alarm by the bed, but I think it's very unlikely any of the residents use them, my mother certainly wouldn't. She wouldn't wear a linkline pendant when she had care at home, she removed it as soon as the carers left - she had no idea what it was for. She is at risk of falls and the CH use pressure mats and supervision to manage the risk. She's always in the lounge if she's awake, she only goes to her room to sleep.

Tired Team Leader

Aug 2, 2018
Scotland
I do wonder why this is thought of as a workable solution for PWD, my mum is in sheltered extra care flat (assisted living) and so is still fairly independent. When I tried to explain to her about the red button on her wall 4 years ago she didn't have a clue, and I can't imagine she'd prss the one they have now given her to wear. They were very pleased when they told me they'd now persuaded her to wear it, I've never seen it on her yet. Even if she did remember what it was for, she wouldn't press it as she wouldn't like to bother anyone and 'someone will be along soon'.

It can work but I guess it depends on the level of dementia, and yes, if the person would press it because they don't want to bother anyone. A lady I cared for years ago would take it off, tie it round her zimmer and then head off without her zimmer. Nothing's foolproof, sadly.