Unacceptable caregiving in many settings.

Gerrywithpat64years

Aug 15, 2018
I suffered through one Hospital in MA as the care was far less than perfect. The RN who was responsible for the daily management was co-operative in many ways such as placing felt where 2 metal surfaces hit whenever a self closing door closed and made a loud and startling noise. The psychiatrist was mainly interested in establishing a conflicted relationship to make certain that I was aware of her power and possible legal action including involuntary placement before I even said hello.
I then transferred her to a nursing home closer to my home and was disgusted by the "crude & unsympathetic uncaring attitudes " of the lowest staff members and the decision to place a single nurse on each shift who was hidden outside the main room where most activities were performed. Therefore they were unaware of how disgusting the staff treated these dementia patients and the endless acting out amongst themselves as if their role was to laugh and have loud conversations amongst themselves in a foreign language I would guess no patient understood further confusing what they were hearing and possibly causing unnecessary confusion and stress not healthy for them. In addition the staff refused many requests from patients such as bathroom requirements or getting their teeth at meal time while seated about to eat. Any time a patient did something deemed unacceptable like standing up in their chair the response by staff was immediate and totally unacceptable. It was as if I was watching an angry parent admonishing a bad child by talking down to them, using strong words and threats, embarrassing the patient in front of 40 others ignoring the reality that this patient was not connected to reality as no dementia patient is thus creating a trauma then and there that I would label not just cruel and unnecessary but I would label such actions as elder abuse possibly a felony but certainly inappropriate if not criminal! When I reported one loud threatening interaction between a staff person and a patient I was informed by the nurse who had entered the room after I went to her Nursing station outside of this large room and limited to hearing about 2% or any words or noise in the large room I was informed that that type of action never occurred to which I replied I witnessed it and am telling you what I saw while you were unable to see or hear everything I just reported to you. On 3 more occasions I reported to the nurse about the same staff actions and in addition the 5 or 6 staff members were so loud yelling to easch other constantly that the patients were unable to hear the tv movie they were sitting there before supper to enjoy. The nurse then had the head nurse from another floor come into the room and merely stand there and observe the now quiet staff members, never even looked at me and never said a word to anyone. The nurse prior to this head nurse appearance had entered the room all 4 times I reported unacceptable behavior and never said one word to one person! I typed a list of 25 recommendations and presented it to the administrator whose only response was to threaten me with calling the police should I ever ?????* * I apologize--it was so bizarre I forgot it as soon as she said it and it was nothing that I had said I would or could do---this was created out of whole cloth!------and to my knowledge never decided to enact any of my suggestions and even lied about placing felt on door striking faces as the previous Hospital had done to reduce unwarranted sudden loud noises that startle patients and any visitors. There were many other incidents that I may add some other time. All of this led me to take her home AMA and become her Primary caregiver for the past year. This is not what I signed up for in 1963 but I have become a hell of a housewife at 79 and love the work that I do 24/7/365 until death do us part!

Gerrywithpat64years

Aug 15, 2018
I should have added that this place was an extreme and I spent 12 hours every day there but you loved one may be treated more subtlety in a fashion where the actions of staff lack the empathy--kindness--love--caring that your loved one deserves every minute of every day they are on this terrible journey wherever they are being cared for! Do not hesitate to point out to anyone who is wrong what they did wrong as well as those who run the organization or supervise staff!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I am sorry that you and your wife had such a bad experience. Am I right in thinking you are in the USA? We do have members from your country who will know of the procedures for making formal complaints. There have been instances when care in a home has not been to the standards we would expect, but here in the U.K. we have a regulatory body, the CQC who inspect homes.
I have to say, of all the times I have read about poor quality of care, and have experience of it, it has not been the carers. Most people enter the occupation because they are caring. A lot of the problems arise when there are too few people employed to provide a good quality of care.
I would suggest that as you feel so strongly about the experience your wife had in the home, you find out who the inspecting body is for your area and contact them.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I am glad to say that my experience was the polar opposite, as is the experience of many of our members I hope.

It will never be perfect, and we shouldn't expect it to be. Glasses/teeth/knickers/socks and just about anything else will get lost. Our loved one maybe 10th in the list for a shower sometimes, not first, Food may not always be to our taste, and occasionally a wet patch on the floor but...….. None of that really matters as long as the staff care and are attentive.