Ultrasound for incontinance pants/pads?

susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
somerset
Hi,

Another thing that cropped up this week which has been awful was I was told the day after Mum had gone to hospital for tests that a district nurse had turned up wanting to see Mum at the care home.

The care staff said she had wanted to carry out an ultrasound on Mum to see if she was retaining urine so they could ascertain whether she was eligible for incontinence pants/pants on the nhs. The district nurse was turned away as the staff said Mum had enough going on that day! So I'm not even sure when this nurse is coming back! I've been told that the pull up pants are much nicer than the pads and although the home will push for the nicer option they doubt that Mum will get them.

My query her is that Mum is sometimes wetting herself at night so would pants/pads be better than a waterproof draw sheet under her. She's ok during the day on the whole but that could of course change at any time. Do you need to have an ultrasound to see if you should get these pads/pants on the NHS? It just seems yet another indignity to heap on my poor Mum?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
John did have an ultrasound once to see whether he retained urine but that was so he could be prescribed medication - as far as I know it had nothing to do with getting inco pads. Pull up pants are nicer as they look like normal pants and can be put on easily, but they don't retain as much urine as some nappy style products, and they are a lot more expensive. We only got 2 pull ups per day so I had to buy the rest in, but once John got into the nursing home I didn't care anymore which style they got for him as didn't have to handle them. Plus once someone is immobile it's much harder to change them so you need products with large capacity.

As for nights, it was never an either or for us - John needed a wipeable mattress, a protective cover, a Kylie sheet AND inco pads maxi strength.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad was issued 3 pull ups per 24 hours at his NH from NHS based on written evidence from the home although he was turned down twice and initially staff were told to get his dementia brain to re train his bladder! Pull ups rather than pads as he would take pads out. His bed was quite often wet during the night so his pull ups were probably limited in containment. He was not seen by anyone all done by form filling.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Five years ago in my area if it could be demonstrated that the person could manage pull ups without help and needed help with pads a 'preserve independence' application for pull ups would be accepted.
Plenty of room for a carefully managed demonstration.
Things may have changed.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan