UKBiobank - a chance to make a difference?

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
If putting myself up as a human 'guninea pig' for the rest of my life and beyond does not directly relate to caring - then tell me what does? :mad:

I want for no-one to ever go through what my mum is going through - what my dad, my aunts, in-laws etc etc have gone through (with different diseases) ..... if I haven't been able to make their lives better while they have suffered .... well, maybe I can help make someone else's better or at least easier in the future ....

If all I can do as a carer now is to organise, to worry, to flit about with meals and medications .... to care as best I can ....... to avoid that type of role for my son, to make life easier for him, his peers and the next generation ..... to think they may be prevented from the ravages of diseases we have had to witness and care for or suffer ....... then forgive me for even worrying about a bit of blood being taken and an anonymous 'consultation' ........ (Ok - the on-going commitment is a bit scary):(

My caring role seems pretty hopeless ... but I'm still trying to care - on one level for my mother .... and on others too ..... which may afford some hope ......

Maybe this is more directly related to caring than you think, Jennifer ..... when we are frustrated there is almost nothing we can do - to be handed an opportunity 'on a plate' to try to make some positive difference (albeit not with immediate impact) it is VERY relevant to caring .... if it is just making carers feel good about themselves ........ which has a HUGE direct impact on our caring capacity .....

Thanks especially to Craig, for helping me 'think out loud' .... and assuage/balance the worries ...... This is no 'fun adventure' ....... I will have to take yet more 'time out' to attend the nearest assessment centre - and my medical history is not fun reading - but Godammit - I WILL do this for mum ........ and everyone else's mum, dad, partner etc etc ....past, present and future ........

Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Karen

TalkingPoint is getting close to 10,000 threads now.

In the early days all threads could be in the same place and not be a problem, however, with such a large legacy of posts now, it is sensible to have some sort of filing system where members can expect to find different sorts of things.

I was going to move the thread when you first posted it because, while of course related to caring, it is that at a different level. I decided to leave your thread in the original place to establish itself before moving it.

In this new location it is likely to remain the front thread and thus visible on the main screen for longer than it would in the main Support area.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Appreciate that Brucie, thank you.

I hope anyone else with an 'invite' (or not) and any concerns/thoughts will post. I've been involved in a few bits of medical research before but nothng on this scale ... it is very new territory to me and appreciate others' thoughts on the project.

Thanks, Karen, x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`d be all for it Karen, but there`s no centre near here. Ironical, isn`t it, the NW centre is in Bury, where we used to live.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Sylvia, I am planning to make it a 'trip out' instead of worrying about it .... been some years since I got to Bury Market for a slice of REAL black pudding!!!!!!! ;) While I am worrying about where my medical details might disappear - or appear - and what my blood cells might get up to in cyberspace when I am long gone I can calm myself debating whether to have pickle or mustard as a side....... :):D

People giving blood anywhere get a cup of tea and biscuits don't they? Perhaps the 'Bury contingent' will be fortified with Saspirilla?:rolleyes:

Love, Karen, x