UK carers

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Hi gang,

I've not been on the board for a couple of weeks because I had to finish the course work for my degree by the 9th June ..... Which I just about managed to do (phew). Plus my mother's not been well and our GP thinks that she might have cancer now so we're off to have more tests done on the 16th to confirm or deny that :(

I've been caring for my mother for several years now, I've never claimed any money for being a carer in the past. But now that she needs 24 hour care I'm going to have to look into getting some benefits (I can't leave her alone now, I've had to work from home for the last year of my degree).

Does anyone in the UK know who I need to contact and what I can claim.

thanks in advance,

mojo

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
One benefit your mother could probably claim is Attendance Allowance, which is not means-tested nor taxable. It is paid to the person being cared for not the carer. As Nada says, other benefits may depend on circumstances.

Bets

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi............................................................................

Last edited:

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Hi !

Thanks for the info, I need to work out if I can stay at home and care for my mum .... If I get a full time job my mum would have to go into a home and I really don't want to do that yet ...

Mojo

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
mojofilter said:
I've not been on the board for a couple of weeks because I had to finish the course work for my degree by the 9th June ..... Which I just about managed to do (phew).

well done mojo, that's no easy thing to do in the midst of caring for your mum. Be sure to take some time to celebrate your achievement before moving on to the next thing :)