Uk benefits etc.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Charlie, according to direct.gov.uk, if you are fully funding the nursing home, attendance allowance continues - it's when the council pays (or contributes) that it stops after 28 days. However, hospitalization is different - then it stops after 28 days,

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
jenniferpa said:
Hmm, Bah Humbug

I'd still give the Carer's National Association hot line a ring 0808 808 7777, because in theory you've allowed to "not care" for 12 weeks in every 6 months (although only 4 of those weeks can be holiday).

Jennifer

I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say ...

thanks,

Paul

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Charlie
Where in UK do you live?
As I understand it, in Scotland, self funding or not, AA stops when going into care, because of the free personal care allowance of £145 residential or £210 nursing per week.
In rest of UK, if self funding, you can still claim AA
Does anyone know about pension credits if going into care and self funding?
Alfjess

lou lou

Nov 9, 2005
London
My mum went into nursing care last summer after 5 weeks in Hospital she lost all her benefits( AA and disability pension credit etc) except her pension and now the benefits agency are deducting from her pension because they claim they overpaid her attendance allowance by a couple of weeks ( which I don't think they did as I informed them all straight away) but I haven't got the energy to fight them at the moment.

Good luck in getting the best care for your mum.

Lou Lou

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All
I think I am wrong in my last posting. I phoned the Pensions Dept in Blackpool, to-day and was told if self funding in Scotland, we can still claim AA.
Although on other sites I've read, it says you can't, because there is free personal care £145. I am a bit confused:confused: but what's new in this jungle of bureaucracy.
Sorry, if I've given wrong information
Alfjess

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
A bit confused? I'm a lot confused! According to alzcot.org

People over 65 who get the payment for free personal care (£145 per week) will not be eligible for Attendance Allowance after the first four weeks of their stay in the home, or, if they are already in a home, from four weeks after 1 July 2002, when the new arrangements start. They must notify the Department of Work and Pensions when they start getting free personal care.

People of any age who are paying all their own fees but get the payment for free nursing care (£65 per week) but not free personal care can still get Attendance Allowance (over 65s) or the care component of Disability Living Allowance (under 65s).

And scotland.gov.uk syays

Will I still be able to receive attendance allowance or disabilty living allowance if I receive free personal care in a care home?

If you choose to receive the £145 a week, you will no longer be eligible for these benefits after 28 days. You must inform the Department of Work and Pensions of your change in circumstances, on 08457 123 456.

So I think you were right and Blackpool were wrong.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Jeniferpa
I have looked at a lot of sites on the internet and like you I mostly understood if £145 was claimed then there would be no AA, but thought I would get it from the horses mouth, so to speak.
I phoned Motherwell Pensions Dept (who also said pension credit would still be paid, although I am doubful) and suggested I phoned Blackpool, as she, wasn't up on AA.
I did and was told that if self funding, AA could be claimed.
Maybe the person I spoke to didn't realise South Lanarkshire was in Scotland. I did ask her that even if the free personal care allowance was claimed, was AA still payed. She answered yes.
I will phone again and make it clear we are speaking about Scotland.
Thanks for your imput.
I didn't really believe the answers myself, but thought if I had misinformed someone here on TP, I had better put it right. More:confused: :confused:
Will keep you informed
Alfjess

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think the pension credit thing might be right - the LA will push you to apply for this if you go into a nursing home, because any payment made under that scheme is less for the LA to pay.

I think Blackpool's confusion is due to the fact that in the rest of the UK, if you're self funded, yes, you keep AA. However, if you get the £145 in Scotland you are no longer totally self-funded so you fall under the partially self-funded rules (where you don't get AA) I can't imagine in what situation you would choose not to take the £145 and instead keep the AA, but you could do if you wanted. This so typical - you're probably right - they probably didn't realise that South Lanarkshire was in Scotland.

Jennifer

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
So what will happen to my mum's basic pension if she goes into a care home ?? Will that just be eaten up with their fees ??? (sorry, I think I'm still jet-lagged.... either that or I've left my brain on the plane) ..

Paul

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Assuming you're not self-funding all her income (pension, AA, pension credit etc) except £18 and change will go to the home. I can't remember exactly how much you're allowed to keep, but it's around the £18 a week mark.

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
jenniferpa said:
Assuming you're not self-funding all her income (pension, AA, pension credit etc) except £18 and change will go to the home. I can't remember exactly how much you're allowed to keep, but it's around the £18 a week mark.

Ta very much :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Having checked, it's £19.60 for personal expenses, although, if your mother has a small amount of savings, soming called savings disregard can be added to that (upto a maximum of £5.05)

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I hope you have gone down to your local Job center ,
To claim job seekers allowance , and it you go back to work part time make sure you work 30 or more , then your get a top up of working tax credit

You can work 16 hours and get working tax credit if you have a disability of your own or have children, work under 30 hours and you get no help only with housing benefit council tax

Last edited:

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Margarita said:
I hope you have gone down to your local Job center ,
To claim job seekers allowance , and it you go back to work part time make sure you work 30 or more , then your get a top up of working tax credit

You can work 16 hours and get working tax credit if you have a disability of your own or have children, work under 30 hours and you get no help only with housing benefit council tax

I've applied for incapacity benefit because to be honest with you I've just fallen to pieces.

I went to see my mum again today and all she talked about was coming home with me, she was so upset when I had to leave her .... :(

Anyway, I've been told that it could take up to 7 weeks for my claim to go through so it could be tomato soup for Christmas ;-)

Paul

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Paul
Its quite scandalous......how are you expected to live?????

you sound so down at the moment.....you really are going through it........
you must have felt so awful after visiting your mum.......
Try to have a good nights sleep....things just might seem a bit better in the morning
Take care
Love xx

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
mel said:
Hi Paul
Its quite scandalous......how are you expected to live?????

you sound so down at the moment.....you really are going through it........
you must have felt so awful after visiting your mum.......
Try to have a good nights sleep....things just might seem a bit better in the morning
Take care
Love xx

I think I've done the typical male thing of bottling everything up until everything just explodes ....

With a little luck I'm sure that things will pick up soon :)

I'll be ok , I'm just so glad that I found this site and the great people on it .....

Thanks to everyone for your support, you have no idea how much it means to me ..

Paul

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/crisis_loans.asp

you could ask for fast track incapacity benefit , because you was on income surport , but

Ring up and get a crisis loan , and your get money next day

I have just seen that it says your have to fill in form , but you don't you ring them and they do it all over the phone , ring up your local income surport and they give you the Number xx

Last edited:

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
mojofilter said:
I think I've done the typical male thing of bottling everything up until everything just explodes ....

don't know if its just a male thing.......I did the same in October......then...crash.....you'll get back on track....i promise;)

We're always here for you Paul
take care now
love xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts