Uk benefits etc.

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Hi !!

I've just got home from my holiday in the USA and I'm shattered :eek: .... Now that my mum's in hospital what happens to the benefits ? Attendance Allowance, State Pension etc. ?

I think my Carers Allowance will last for 4 weeks after the date that she was admitted to hospital but I'm not sure about the rest .....

So much to sort out but everywhere is closed until Monday .. Ow and the fridge's broke as well :)

I'm so glad to be home ,

Paul

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hiya Paul

Nothing like coming home to a mess in more than one way. Sorry not really up on benefits in hospital situation, but I'm sure other TP friends will have some advice for you.

Hope you enjoyed your hols, but bet you already feel 'what holiday'

Cate

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Paul
welcome back.....I'm so glad you stayed on......Sorry ...can't help you on the benefits side.....I would have thought mums attendance allowance wouldn't be affected.......perhaps the DWP website can help?
How is your mum?

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
mel said:
How is your mum?

Mum's fine thanks , she's really settled at the assessment unit and I'm going to try and visit her tomorrow (providing I can get rid of the jet lag).

I'm quite nervous about visiting her because I know that she'll want to come home with me ...

Paul

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Cate said:
Hiya Paul

Nothing like coming home to a mess in more than one way. Sorry not really up on benefits in hospital situation, but I'm sure other TP friends will have some advice for you.

Hope you enjoyed your hols, but bet you already feel 'what holiday'

Cate

Yeah it's kinda hard because everything as changed while I've been away. I did enjoy my holiday but part of me just wanted to get home and sort everything out :)

Paul

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Paul
Good luck with the visit tomorrow....I don't envy you......Just expect the worst....and you'll probably find it won't be as bad as you fear.......

Helena

May 24, 2006
My Mother had till her death on Tuesday been in hospital for 5 weeks and neither her pension or attendance allowance have been stopped

The NHS stopped being able to claw back pensions etc a couple of years ago and attendance allowance must be in same situation

It was finally recognised that people still had to meet the running costs of there homes while in hospital

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm sorry Helena, but I don't think that's quite right.

According to help the aged, if you are in hospital for more than 28 days, attendance allowance will be suspended. However, state pension will still be paid.

There are other things that might be affected

Here's the link

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb...es/GoingIntoHospital/as_goinghos_180106_2.htm

PS. Paul - it looks as if you can keep your carer's allowance for longer than 28 days

Jennifer

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Paul, Hope you managed to enjoy your holiday.
My mother died in 2002. She had been in a home for 6 years. When she was admitted, her Attendance Allowance stopped immediately, but she still got her Pension. I don`t know whether or not things have changed now. Sylvia

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Is your mother going to stay in hospital then go in to a care home or are you going to take her back home after the assessment ?

As if she going to go on to a care home, then you should inform all benefits.
Carer allowance says that they can spend 12 weeks a year in respite and it does not affect your benefit.

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Margarita said:
Is your mother going to stay in hospital then go in to a care home or are you going to take her back home after the assessment ?

I don't know at the moment, all of my friends think that it's time for me to let her go into a care home but I'm waiting to see what comes out at the meeting on the 14th.

It will get sorted and I hope that I can live with whatever decision that I make.

Paul (who's still on Ohio time :) )

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
jenniferpa said:
Paul - how did your visit to your mother go?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I ended up not going today to see her today, I'm still jet-lagged for some strange reason. I usually have a good sleep when I get home from the USA and I'm fine the next day, but this time I've had real trouble getting off to sleep.

I know that it's going to be a very emotional visit and I know that I'd break down after 30 seconds if I go to see her when I'm tired and my defences are down. If I'm feeling better in the morning I'll go and see her tomorrow. If not I'll leave in until Monday when my mate can give me a lift and some much needed moral support :)

Paul

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Who can blame you for not being able to sleep, not only jet lag, but the added worry what to do best for your mother , easy to say try switch of so you can get sleep , but the mind keeps ticking ahead , tried or not when you visit your mother, those tears of emotion are still going to be there , all normal because we after all just human just go with flow of them .

I try to silent my thought, but they keep ticking ahead of me , good luck on Monday when visiting your mother

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Mum was ok, she did talk about going home with me but I as able to get her off the subject without too much hassle. So all in all the visit went as planned.....

The bad news is that my Carers Allowance and Income Support were both suspended today ..... So that's really not helping my situation :)

la,de,da

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm glad it went as well as could be expected. Have you checked to make sure that the allowances that have been stopped have been correctly stopped, if you know what I mean? The rules are somewhat screwy, but I wouldn't accept that it's correct until someone had looked at your situation specifically (rather than a computer spewing something out automatically).

Jennifer

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
I called the people at Carers Allowance and the lady that I dealt with took great pleasure in informing me that because my mum had received two periods of respite since July my benefits would be terminated with immediate effect.

Happy Christmas :)

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
sorry to jump in on this thread.
It is a similar topic.

If someone goes from home into nursing care, do they also lose their attendance allowance. I know that the pension is kept, but not clear on the attendance allowance? The home says yes / but this discussion made me think twice.

thanks
Charlie....

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hmm, Bah Humbug

I'd still give the Carer's National Association hot line a ring 0808 808 7777, because in theory you've allowed to "not care" for 12 weeks in every 6 months (although only 4 of those weeks can be holiday).

Jennifer

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister