Typing with Dementia

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Since my diagnosis I have had a lot of problems using the keyboard, much of which is caused by the fact the I was always right handed, but then my left had became quicker than my right when using a keyboard. No one knows why this happened, whether a small stroke or something like that

To get round this I had to learn to sit on my left hand, unless it was needed for capitals etc. Now this is becoming more and more difficult, and my left hand seems to have its own mission in life. So now it starts getting in the way again, meaning that the letters of the word are there but in the wrong order, all over again when I thought I had stopped it.

Some time ago I bought a Speech recognition package for my PC, but I have found that my voice tones keep changing, so this package does not always work, and I confess that it causes extra stress using it at times, so I try to do typing manually.

Its amazing how many things change with this illness, and sometimes you feel tempted to give up altogether, or throw the PC out of the door. But like everything else we have to keep trying, for the sake of our loved ones if nothing else.

I have also learnt to write all my posts and e-mails on a word document where they are checked for missing words, or bad spellings and then they are transferred to send.

Its a very long winded way of doing things, but it is keeping me active, so that's the main thing.

I think the main problem is caused by the fact that I am trying to write things down while I can remember them, so that is why both hands keep trying to type. Otherwise I get quite stressed when I start typing and then forget what I wat to say.

I think I could do with a direct line from my brain to the pc, so that things get typed as I am thinking about it.

Best wishes
Ken

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello again,

I have just put this speech recognition package back on my computer after it had been removed when my PC crashed last month.
I am now trying to write this message using this package, and up till now it seems to be working, apart from if you irritating mistakes caused by the software picking up and opening the wrong document. This could also be caused by my accent, and partly to do with the fact that I am becoming hard of hearing.
I am also having problems getting to software to recognise certain words, which means that I have to rewrite them which takes up time, but it allows me to say what is on my mind without having to type it.
In some respects I find this odd talking to a machine and seeing it write my thoughts, and in some respects it is very hard to believe.

Best wishes
KEN

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Amazing

Hi Ken - it looks great - I'm so pleased you are getting the package to work although I'm sure it is challenging - I am too technophobic to manage it without a coach!

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Bookworm

hello again, yes this looks fine but there have been a lot of mistakes which take time to correct. But I am trying to beat the machine before it beats me.

It seems hard to dictate to a machine and watch it writing everything you think and say, and although I have had this software for well over six months, it has taken until now to get it moving in a way that I can cope with.

My problem is that I am finding my feet as I am going, which is hard as I have no manual to work from. So I am making lots of mistakes but it is still faster than trying to write it down while remembering what you want to say, which as I have said is very hard as I keep forgetting at times what I want to say.

Best wishes

KEN

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Ken,

We have looked at voice recognition dictation machines for our offices and have always been unimpressed. We have just installed digital dictation (still needs someone to transcribe, but getting rid of the old tapes) and the salesman said the voice recognition systems were unpopular because of the problems you describe. Yours is the best result I've seen! :)

Don't be too hard on yourself - I very much suspect it's the software not you. But if you can get it to work, it would be a huge boon for you.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Ken,

Well I, for one, am very impressed that you are managing with the voice recognition. At least by having some idea how to use it will give you choice. One day typing might suit and another day voice recognition might be better. I think the hardest thing to learn might be to cope with written errors and spelling mistakes. For someone who would have always liked things done perfectly, it can be hard to make do with less than perfect. I always like to say that as long as it is good enough, it is good enough;)

Love