Types of care?

Squidgy1

Dec 22, 2014
Westhoughton
my mum has FLT dementia and vascular dementia and is in respite. I'm viewing homes for permanent care, but I'm confused at the type of care mum needs. Our social worker says mum is residential with EMI and that that the types of care are residential, EMI and EMI Zero? The homes I've looked at seem to be Residential, EMI or nursing. Could someone please translate.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The terms used vary with different areas, but I'll have a go at clarifying.

Residential - infirm, no nursing requirement, not suffering with dementia.

Residential with nursing - nursing required.

Residential dementia - suffering with dementia, secure building, dementia trained carers.

Residential with EMI - suffering with dementia, secure building, dementia trained carers and nurses.

EMI stands for elderly mentally infirm is an old term that does not appear in current CQC documentation.

I've never heard of EMI Zero.

There are also statements about staffing levels and the phrase to be used where a person suffers with advanced dementia, does not have any challenging behaviour, and requires nursing.

In the final analysis there should be a care plan in place that can be shown to prospective care homes who can then decide whether they wish to do an assessment as to whether or not they will accept the person. Worrying about how the home is described is in some respects a waste of time.

Squidgy1

Dec 22, 2014
Westhoughton
The terms used vary with different areas, but I'll have a go at clarifying.

Residential - infirm, no nursing requirement, not suffering with dementia.

Residential with nursing - nursing required.

Residential dementia - suffering with dementia, secure building, dementia trained carers.

Residential with EMI - suffering with dementia, secure building, dementia trained carers and nurses.

EMI stands for elderly mentally infirm is an old term that does not appear in current CQC documentation.

I've never heard of EMI Zero.

There are also statements about staffing levels and the phrase to be used where a person suffers with advanced dementia, does not have any challenging behaviour, and requires nursing.

In the final analysis there should be a care plan in place that can be shown to prospective care homes who can then decide whether they wish to do an assessment as to whether or not they will accept the person. Worrying about how the home is described is in some respects a waste of time.

Thank you so much that clears things up a bit, it's all so confusing I'm going for a second viewing at a care home today and taking dad so I'll get a copy of her care plan first to take with us. My mum has very challenging behaviour which is why we can't care for her at home.