Two years to get this bad. What now?

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by AL60, Nov 29, 2016.

1. margherita

margherita Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Female
    Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
    Hi @AL60 ,
    such good news.
    Stopping trying to control or change what we have no power over, is something I learned more than three decades ago ....and keep forgetting.
    Your daughter's moving out is another great piece of news . Grownup children have to live on their own, whenever it is possible and affordable.
    You will have a fresh start, which doesn't mean your wife won't be in your heart. You are still young and have a life still to be lived and enjoyed.

2. Casbow

Casbow Registered User

Sep 3, 2013
    Colchester
    So pleased you have had a good break. You need to try to set aside the day or two each week to visit your wife. No point in trying every day. She has no recollection of you and the happy life you had together. Dementia is the saddest decease and next week when I am at my husbands funeral It will be a celebration of his life and the fact that he will no longer be suffering this cruel and wicked disease. One day she may smile at you again. My husband changed his mood quite often. You have done nothing wrong. Its this awful illness.xx

3. AL60

AL60 Registered User

Oct 14, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi. It's nearly three weeks since I last posted on here. I can't believe how quickly the time has gone! I'm still feeling good about life in general so that Florida sunshine break wasn't wasted. It's so easy to get carried away and make all kinds of plans while you have the time to relax and enjoy. I was always worried about drifting back to old ways on my return home, it hasn't happened. In fact, I'm away again this weekend. What! Away again! :). Actually I'm in Dundee staying at my daughter's home for a few days. It's her birthday so here I am for my share of birthday cake. But away is still away and the Dundee weather has been fairly good, especially today. So here i am again, posting late evening and once again saying how much I'm looking forward to going back home later tomorrow I heard today that my wife's has been on a trip to Knowsley safari park. I can only imagine what that must have been like for her, it's her first time out anywhere for her for a very long time. I just hope in her own way she enjoyed herself.
    I went to visit her just last week, every time I go I just hope things might be a little better. It wasn't. At least it doesn't come as a surprise anymore. I thought at one point things might be improving, as she was shouting at me to get out she was laughing. It was so odd, i can only assume it's down to the medication. In fact because she was laughing I was prepared to try to stay a while but the nurse brought her a drink so I decided to leave as that drink was only going to go one way, all over me. o_O.
    Well that's enough from me for now. I'll try to get some sleep. Last time I was here in Dundee I slept on a leaky blow up bed, it was ok but it was difficult getting out of it every morning as I'd sunk to the middle. This time I'm on a rather rickety camp bed;)It's ok but as I said before, i am looking forward to going home later on tomorrow afternoon. And tomorrow night, my own bed:). Not going anywhere though until I've had some birthday cake! It's certainly been a lovely weekend. Goodnight, Al:).

4. Guzelle

Guzelle Registered User

Aug 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    I’m glad you are having a better time it’s so sad that she is so awful towards you, dementia is so strange. My husband’s moods change all the time. He’s possessive with me and follows me everywhere which is so stifling. He was awful last week because I went to my weekly dance class and was threatening to kick me when I got home saying he was fed up of being on his own, I’d been out for an hour and a half!

He was hateful to his elderly cousin saying she was lazy because she couldn’t walk very well. She was 98 years old. He calls his baby grandson a brat which is really awful. I often feel I can’t cope with him as I never know what I’m dealing with from hour to hour.

5. AL60

AL60 Registered User

Oct 14, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi dementia is a very strange disease indeed, it affects different people in different ways. I'm certain if my wife was calmer and less aggressive she would be still at home with me as tha sole carer. However, in our case with the aggression and threat towards myself and my daughter the outcome was sectioning . Harsh I know but , in the end it was for the best. Don t get me wrong, not a day goes by without me thinking I could have done things better But I know if I had done things differently I would have only delayed things, the eventual outcome would have been the same. Al.
    Stay strong, i know it isn't easy.

6. dancer12

dancer12 Registered User

Jan 9, 2017
    Mississauga
    Hi Guzelle:

I maybe wrong but I believe name calling is a form of aggression. I understand he can't help it but how much do others have to take/understand . All the best.

7. AL60

AL60 Registered User

Oct 14, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi. It's only been a couple of weeks since my last post on here but it feels like a lot longer. It's a month now since I returned from my trip to Florida and the post holiday feel hasn't gone away. After a couple of visits to the nursing home nothing had really changed, still the shouting and abuse which I'd got used to. Until last Saturday afternoon. I was coming home from a day in Wales with my youngest daughter when we recieved a message from my daughter in Kendal. She was on her way down to visit her mum and was asking if anyone would be interested in joining her. How could I possibly say no. We had the puppy/ dog :) with us so made our way to the care home. It was the best thing I ever did. My wife has never been particularly fond of dogs but as soon as she saw her that was it. The change was unbelievable! All she did was laugh and chuckle at the antics of that little dog. Still no conversation but it didn't matter, for the first time in a long while she was happy in my presence. Little noodle is now an unofficial therapy dog:). I went again yesterday on my own with the dog and got the same reaction. At last I've found something that works! Visiting at least for now isn't such an ordeal, long may it continue :):). Al.

8. dancer12

dancer12 Registered User

Jan 9, 2017
    Mississauga
    Hi:

I guess puppies & young children don't stand in judgement of anybody, not like people. Communicating is done in many ways, facial expressions, hand gestures the lowering & raising of your voice and I'm sure there are other ways. Once you are with a person 24/7 even if you are a saint, there will always be communication breakdown, be it in the middle of the night, early morning, midday, or late evening there will be a communication breakdown of some kind. Young children & puppies just want to play. My husband just wants to laugh & play all day whereas I've got work to do & responsibilities. I can't play right now is a form of communication breakdown. :):)

You seem to have more smiley faces in your posts. Way to go.:):)

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Oh my goodness @AL60 iw wonderful. So good for you to have such positive visits.

10. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I’m so delighted that you’ve found something that works @AL60.

11. Susan11

Susan11 Registered User

Nov 18, 2018
    What good news. I've read your posts and felt so sad for you in your impossibly difficult situation.

Best wishes Susan

12. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    How wonderful @AL60. Who would have believed it. It`s nothing short of a miracle :):)

13. jenniferjean

jenniferjean Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    I second that @AL60, long may it continue. What a tremendous breakthrough.

14. Guzelle

Guzelle Registered User

Aug 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    I’m so happy for you, who would’ve thought a dog could make all the difference.

15. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
  16. Woohoo

Woohoo Registered User

Apr 30, 2019
    Female
    Essex
    Wow , what a change , pleased for you. Long may it continue :) .

17. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Hi Al60,
    So glad your wife is happy in your presence again. Such a relief for you. I think PWD get stuck in their stubborness and are relieved when something distracts them. It happens over short periods with my OH but your wife held out for much longer.

18. margherita

margherita Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Female
    Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
    Such good news, @AL60 .
    And the puppy deserves a special treat. ;)

19. Bikerbeth

Bikerbeth Registered User

Feb 11, 2019
    Bedford
    After reading your ‘story’ I am too so glad to hear this positive development