Two years to get this bad. What now?

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Al, I've read your posts from the beginning and I completely agree with the others. You've done your best 24/7 in a very difficult situation for too long. Your posts show that are a compassionate, caring, loving husband but It's time for her to go into care now, and we have to help each other put the guilt in the dustbin where it belongs. You must care of yourself if you have any chance of helping her once she is in her new home.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. I read what you all say and am empowered by the positivity that comes across. My mind is made up. Whether it's Monday or Tuesday my wife is going to be going into permanent care. If I had the opportunity it would have happened today. Today has been absolute hell with her. From six this morning until half an hour or so ago its been relentless. I've twice called the emergency number for out of hours social worker, each time to be told that there's nowhere to send her, my youngest daughter came home with her boyfriend mid afternoon and felt so threatened by her mum that she called the police. All sounds a bit dramatic I know but she was genuinely afraid for her own safety. After all this, she's still here, all quiet now. For now anyway. What i don't understand is, the care home had a place they were keeping open until Monday. Then why no room today? I was told yesterday if things deteriorated over the weekend she could be taken in. All questions to be answered on Monday. First though, we haveto get through Sunday, wish me luck. By the way, the family are now onside with the decision I've made.
Al..

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Good for you, and knowing it is just one more day will make it easier to get through (I really hope). Good decision, Al. As @Izzy said, caring is hard...and the bit that comes after is hard too...but we will all be here to support you.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi. I read what you all say and am empowered by the positivity that comes across. My mind is made up. Whether it's Monday or Tuesday my wife is going to be going into permanent care. If I had the opportunity it would have happened today. Today has been absolute hell with her. From six this morning until half an hour or so ago its been relentless. I've twice called the emergency number for out of hours social worker, each time to be told that there's nowhere to send her, my youngest daughter came home with her boyfriend mid afternoon and felt so threatened by her mum that she called the police. All sounds a bit dramatic I know but she was genuinely afraid for her own safety. After all this, she's still here, all quiet now. For now anyway. What i don't understand is, the care home had a place they were keeping open until Monday. Then why no room today? I was told yesterday if things deteriorated over the weekend she could be taken in. All questions to be answered on Monday. First though, we haveto get through Sunday, wish me luck. By the way, the family are now onside with the decision I've made.
Al..[/QUOTE
It will be fine Al. Difficult, sad, painful but fine. When you see her settled and set up a visiting routine you will become friends with the staff looking after her and welcomed, I am sure on your visits. I always visit at lunchtime so i can help with his lunch, be involved in what happens, sometimes help with other residents by getting them a book or magazine to look at. Reminding them to have a drink, just generally becoming part of your wife's new life and being involved. I am very mush appreciated at the home and feel part of the caring for my lovely man. It will be ok. Love to you.xx

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I’m sorry things went down hill so quickly once your wife returned home, I know it’s not what you hoped for. It’s good that your family are now behind you with your decision. I hope you have a quieter Sunday and that you can get things moving.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. Good morning. Once again thanks for the replies. Things are a bit quieter this morning. I didn't wake until seven thirty, she'd gone downstairs quietly, went to the toilet quietly then quietly spread mess on every available surface. Then when I went downstairs the first thing to hit me was the smell. Her first words to me were not good morning darling, did you get a good night's sleep? No, it was, There's some more washing in the utility room .:confused:. This, I don't mind, yes of course it's a nuisance but its all part of the caring thing, quietly get on with things, complain, get grumpy sometimes, that's allowed. But no matter how today turns out, nothing can change the inevitable. I'm in no doubt that tomorrow morning the phone will be ringing itself off the hook, yes, they will insist on using the landline, and things are going to change quite quickly. It's not going to be easy but after the last few days I've no choice. So today I'm hoping for a last cream tea in the sunshine. Just hope the carer turns up soon. I've a sneaky feeling my wife might just be in need of a shower this morning:eek:. Al.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
After that start, your day can only get better. I hope you manage the cream tea.

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Sorry things have got so bad, please let us know what happens tomorrow. Good luck and take care of yourself.Linda(Rosebush)x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi. Good morning. Once again thanks for the replies. Things are a bit quieter this morning. I didn't wake until seven thirty, she'd gone downstairs quietly, went to the toilet quietly then quietly spread mess on every available surface. Then when I went downstairs the first thing to hit me was the smell. Her first words to me were not good morning darling, did you get a good night's sleep? No, it was, There's some more washing in the utility room .:confused:. This, I don't mind, yes of course it's a nuisance but its all part of the caring thing, quietly get on with things, complain, get grumpy sometimes, that's allowed. But no matter how today turns out, nothing can change the inevitable. I'm in no doubt that tomorrow morning the phone will be ringing itself off the hook, yes, they will insist on using the landline, and things are going to change quite quickly. It's not going to be easy but after the last few days I've no choice. So today I'm hoping for a last cream tea in the sunshine. Just hope the carer turns up soon. I've a sneaky feeling my wife might just be in need of a shower this morning:eek:. Al.
Al, I have read all your posts. I have been through hell too and my OH is now in a nursing home and I spend time there every day and am now a member of a lovely team caring for him, not just me. One of the truths, not aired enough, is that few of us can see our loved ones right through this illness. It gets too much for any one human to do. And one danger is that it gets so horrible that the PWD becomes the enemy and we cannot shift our minds from that position. The fact we are under pressure to soldier on is a testament to our humanity, especially yours, and from financial constrictions which never look this whole situation in the face. Al, I so honour what you have done, so honour it. I am so glad you have made this decision now. Gxaka kindred.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. Funny but I don't feel like sleeping tonight. They say the worst thing you can do is stare at a screen, something to do with the blue light. It's not that that's keeping me awake. Today, well, yesterday, Sunday, has been a kind of up and down day. I thought we were doing well when this morning she had all her medication. I took her to her favourite tea room at tatton, took her around the shops there then made our way home. Wanted to be back home for two as family were due. On the way home from tatton my wife fell fast asleep. Peace at last. As soon as we arrived back home it all changed, wide awake and angry. She wanted to go out. Here we go again. And thats how it's been. Not as bad as yesterday but still bad enough. I've no idea what's going to happen later today but whatever happens it's for the best reasons. I'll keep you updated. So much for blue background light, I'm ready to sleep now. Goodnight from frazzled Al.o_O

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Oh Al, I’ve been reading your posts and am so glad you are decided on a care home for your wife, as hard as it is, and that your family are all on board. I think it was the hardest thing for my mum to put dad in a home but I truly think one of them would have killed the other. I have watched all the love come flooding back and mum is able to help care for dad in his home and I know it’s a cliche but she would have to agree that she does get to spend quality time with together.
Best wishes xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi. Funny but I don't feel like sleeping tonight. They say the worst thing you can do is stare at a screen, something to do with the blue light. It's not that that's keeping me awake. Today, well, yesterday, Sunday, has been a kind of up and down day. I thought we were doing well when this morning she had all her medication. I took her to her favourite tea room at tatton, took her around the shops there then made our way home. Wanted to be back home for two as family were due. On the way home from tatton my wife fell fast asleep. Peace at last. As soon as we arrived back home it all changed, wide awake and angry. She wanted to go out. Here we go again. And thats how it's been. Not as bad as yesterday but still bad enough. I've no idea what's going to happen later today but whatever happens it's for the best reasons. I'll keep you updated. So much for blue background light, I'm ready to sleep now. Goodnight from frazzled Al.o_O
Good morning Al. Be thinking of you and your wife today. It will all be ok in the end. It will be difficult but I am sure you have made the right decision and she will be happier and therefore so will you. I am having a few days away. The first time I have done anything much since David went into care. Not sure how I feel at the moment. Means I can't visit for 4 days. But I will not be that far away. And the home said to ring whenever I want to. Hope all goes well today and I send my love to you both.x

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. Good morning. I woke an hour ago but only just ready to face another day. I know I'm doing the right thing, I also know I have the support of friends and family. It's still not going to easy but all the support and encouragement from everyone will help me to see it through. Thank you again. Al.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It will never be easy @AL60, just something which has to be done. Hopefully it will improve your quality of life both with your wife and alone.

At least when you visit you will be able to give her undivided attention without the stress and tiredness.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Hi. Good morning. I woke an hour ago but only just ready to face another day. I know I'm doing the right thing, I also know I have the support of friends and family. It's still not going to easy but all the support and encouragement from everyone will help me to see it through. Thank you again. Al.
Even after what you have been through this is still not going to be easy. Lots and lots of support during this difficult time x