Two Questions

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello everyone!

As some of you will know from reading my recent threads that I went to the CAB last week and they suggested that I apply for CHC for dad
and that I contact a solicitor. So far I have two questions first of all can the care home help with my application for CHC and secondly has anyone here ever paid £180 for a consultation with a solicitor?

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi yes the doctor is normally most helpful or nurses..and defiantly yes to solictors fee.xxx

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You really shouldn't need a solicitor to apply for CHC.

Soliictors fees generally- I'd say £180 per hour was about average

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hello everyone!

As some of you will know from reading my recent threads that I went to the CAB last week and they suggested that I apply for CHC for dad
and that I contact a solicitor. So far I have two questions first of all can the care home help with my application for CHC and secondly has anyone here ever paid £180 for a consultation with a solicitor?

Thankyou very much

Hi there is a lot of info on this site about CHC https://caretobedifferent.co.uk/

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi @MaNaAk
Firstly well done for trying to get CHC and don’t give up because it is a long winding road !
Secondly, not known any carehome to help with getting funding, they like self funders at least that’s my experience, they play down needs to gain self funders.
Thirdly, I wouldn’t pay out for a solicitor yet as you can read up on everything and get the wording right to apply yourself first.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Hello everyone!

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk
I think you need to make some further enquiries. Where I live there are various support groups that will help with things that otherwise one would pay a solicitor for, especially applications, and form filling.
Retired professionals are often happy to give of their time to help people.
Make some enquiries - does your town/village have its own website - you could possibly discover something on there. If in a village, as I am, the local Parish Clerk might be able to help you.
Ask friends/neighbours - it's surprising what people know.
It sounds to me as though you know you need help with this, but are very unsure of how to find it.
Good Luck

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My experience of applying for chc is limited to dad's NH applying fast track on return from hospital however he died before approval came through. 5 other residents who I knew them and their wives well had mixed results but each application was made by the NH either on request from the relative or on NH instigation and judgement. Each of them had many medical and physical needs as well as their dementia so you would have thought they would all have been awarded but that wasn't so and even after trying many times as condition worsened. One who I thought was a sure didn't...another who didn't seem quite so needy..had approval....however keep in mind initially if approved it is reviewed and can be withdrawn.It is dependent on so many factors including how the application is supported with good written and verbal evidence having dementia in itself is not generally enough, proof of a primary medical need and or something dementia wise like extreme physical aggression and then on the opinion of the visiting assessor on what they read hear or see and then relying on them to refer to panel for approval. I cannot see how a solicitor would know your father enough and therefore would be requiring all the info to come from you and the care home manager and GP...time consuming lengthy process and from what you have discovered will be very costly. Do you have health poa?

It is no doubt that care homes would probably prefer a large percentage of self funders or LA funded with top ups as CHC does not often cover all fees but at dad's NH this did not impact on their willingness to apply.

I think your starting point is to look through the chc threads ...put it in the search aboce...on here to think objectively conparing your dad's presentation against the criteria..someone may be able to post a link for you. Plus look at some of the threads ..I can't remember the poster in particular..that shows even at end of life with complex needs chc is still refused...Sometimes it is a lottery between areas and amount of funding available. Speak to the care home manager to find out if they feel you have enough evidence...if they are unhelpful or unwilling you can still apply on your own but may need health poa to get the info you need. CHC is incredibly hard to get....I can't recall your back story for the reasons your dad needed care home placement but in your previous post you mentioned bringing him home and if you feel tha's a possibility on the one hand that may suggest he is not at CHC approval stage or if he is that you will be taking on a great deal and can you cope with that again?

Others who have been through the CHC process may be able to give you some tips and perhaps someone has applied through a solicitor. Determination can win through as other posts have shown if you can argue good evidence.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
My mum's care home applied as soon as mum went there, and got it. She was only there five weeks before she died but they applied automatically for most patients. I was quite impressed with them really as mums previous home said she had no chance.
So do ask them they are in a good position to help.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou very much everyone!

I have plenty to go on so I will make sure that I fully understand it all. It was my invisible that suggested bringing dad home and I found this horrifying! I have two POAs and has Alzheimers, Diabetes and other conditions.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou very much everyone!

I have plenty to go on so I will make sure that I fully understand it all. It was my invisible that suggested bringing dad home and I found this horrifying! I have two POAs and has Alzheimers, Diabetes and other conditions.

MaNaAk

I realise I left the word 'dad' out here! It is him that has these conditions not me!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The latest is that I was given the details of my local CCG team today and I rang them and they said to ring the home and ask them to get a nurse to do an assessment on dad. I will let everyone one know what happens anyway my invisible came round and he was much softer than before but he is still concerned about our finances. He demonstrated his ignorance when I told him about applying for CHC by saying why should the council pay for dad's care. I am ignoring this and going ahead anyway but at least I know I can still have a conversation with him

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Please could someone read my input to the CHC thread on page 38 and tell me what they think as I am waking up in the night worrying about losing the house,

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
On page 38 you said:

I have worked out that dad has at least a year before his savings reach £23500 without pensions and benefits. I suppose at 54 I must consider the prospect of losing my home.

Besides your Dad receiving CHC funding there is another way you could remain his house.
From information in your various threads I believe that you have lived with your Dad for many years and have cared for him for some time, you have cut your working hours, you may also have contributed financially to maintenance of the property.
You may have a case for a discretionary disregard of the property, if you have helped financially see if you can get any proof and contact CAB or AgeUK for further advice.

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
On page 38 you said:

Besides your Dad receiving CHC funding there is another way you could remain his house.
From information in your various threads I believe that you have lived with your Dad for many years and have cared for him for some time, you have cut your working hours, you may also have contributed financially to maintenance of the property.
You may have a case for a discretionary disregard of the property, if you have helped financially see if you can get any proof and contact CAB or AgeUK for further advice.
On page 38 you said:

On page 38 you said:

Dear Nitram,

Thankyou so much when I went to the CAB last week they suggested seeing a solicitor as like you they said I may have
a case so I think I will pursue this. However I need to think of what will happen if it all goes wrong. I got dad this far so I will keep going. I've always said that us carers get support from somewhere but I don't know where. That said where will I be without Talking Point.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thankyou so much when I went to the CAB last week they suggested seeing a solicitor as like you they said I may have
a case so I think I will pursue this.

Before you see a solicitor see if you can find any proof that you have contributed financially, have you helped with insurance, repairs, maintenance, fitting of new bathroom/kitchen,....?
Without proof you will not have a case.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Before you see a solicitor see if you can find any proof that you have contributed financially, have you helped with insurance, repairs, maintenance, fitting of new bathroom/kitchen,....?
Without proof you will not have a case.