1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Start preparing your case and about 2 months before you estimate your Dad's assets (excluding house ) will hit the upper limit ask for a financial assessment by the LA, don't let them drag their feet. push the discretionary disregard for all it's worth, be prepared to argue your case..

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Please take Nitrams advice - the worst the LA can do is say no and it sounds like you have a good case.

3. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Thankyou you two. Do you think it would be still possible to go ahead with the CHC eventhough the care home say they don't do it? The dementia nurse is going to ring on Monday.

MaNaAk

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Some care homes are disinclined to investigate CHC as the funding is usually much less than the self funding rate.

The initial check list can lead to FNC (funded nursing care) instead of CHC.

It's worthwhile getting the opinion of the dementia nurse on Monday.

Meanwhile, only if you can summon up sufficient energy, try going through the check list
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...lthcare_checklist_-_December_2018_revised.odt
    yourself.
    Read everything very carefully and expect to be down marked.

5. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Hello Everyone!

National Dementia helpline have returned the call I made yesterday and said that I could use deferred payment for the house and contact Carers UK and Shelter. I feel better knowing I can do something.

MaNaAk

6. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    A DPA (deferred payment agreement) is an option but nothing like as good as a property disregard.
    It's essentially a loan secured on your Dad's house

• There are legal set up charges
    • On your Dad's death the loan, plus interest, will have to be repaid,
    • This usually means selling the house which has to be done within 3 months.
    Try for the property disregard first, if you don't get it you still have the option of a DPA

If you don't ask, you won't get.

7. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Thankyou Nitram

I feel better knowing I can do something.

MaNaAk

8. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

You having POA doesnt avctually come into anything as far as securing funding goes.

You need to be able to prove that you have made a significant investment in the house from your own money ( not your PWD) showing that its something you have invested in as your home.
    ( Like for instance half the gas/water /electricity. ) Any home improvements YOU have paid for,

9. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    The dementia nurse never rang today so I may have got the date wrong. However I will check with the surgery tomorrow. I started looking at receipts and bank statements and it's going to take me sometime to do this. Thank goodness I do bookkeeping for my music lessons as this well help me assemble my case. I was also told that the fact that I work from home will help my case. I have probably lost pupils because dad started opening the door just when I was teaching!

MaNaAk

10. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    I saw the dementia nurses at our surgery today and one of them will be calling at the care home on Thursday. We don't think that dad will be able to get CHC because he can still dress himself but the nurse is going to ask the care home manageress to do a needs test and take it from there. They also suggested I contact my local dementia friends coordinator to get information about more benefits for dad.

MaNaAk

11. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    I haven't heard anything more yet.

MaNaAk

12. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Just saying that one of my brothers is has sent an email to say he is worried about me being in the house. I did mention seeing a solicitor and one brother said it's dad's house and the other doesn't listen to my ideas. I don't like to think he's worried but I can't bear to be told off on the phone.

MaNaAk

13. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Why is he worried? What do your brothers think will happen while you are living there?

14. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi MaNaAk
    What a worry! Your brothers should understand that you're taking care of the house - keeping it in good repair. And if you get the disregard it will mean its value to the (eventual) estate will not be reduced by a deferred payment agreement. Best wishes.

15. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    I don't think they trust me to see this through to the end and I am afraid that I have taken Amy In The US's advice by contacting them mainly through email. I am not stopping them from phoning or coming round and in a way it's nice to have brothers who care. However they have been putting their frustrations on to me eventhough they are not communicating with each other. That said the younger one is now more approachable but either way you look at it they are worried about me but they never really had to worry about Dad!

I am very busy with gathering evidence for the disregard but I am pleased to say that I am also rebuilding my career as a Piano and Violin Teacher. You might be interested to know that I have three new adult pupils and one of them is 90!

MaNaAk

16. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Be careful how much you publicise this, using your Dad's house in relation to a business could cause various problems.

17. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Thankyou Nitram. I'll bear that in mind.

MaNaAk

18. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Sorry to update everyone like this but my youngest invisible came round today and made a list of items for the council to take. This is good as it will leave me with more space however he warned me that things will get ugly if I keep him and my other invisible who he does not communicate with in the dark about my plans.

I told him about getting disregard for the and he wanted to know what guarantee there was to that effect. I told I had receipts to show that what I had invested in the house. I mentioned the caring, the bills and my pupil's (but I will bear in mind what Nitram said)

19. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex

20. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Forgot to say that I snapped a bit at him!

MaNaAk