Two Questions

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes! A lot of it was with my credit card.

Start preparing your case and about 2 months before you estimate your Dad's assets (excluding house ) will hit the upper limit ask for a financial assessment by the LA, don't let them drag their feet. push the discretionary disregard for all it's worth, be prepared to argue your case..

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou you two. Do you think it would be still possible to go ahead with the CHC eventhough the care home say they don't do it? The dementia nurse is going to ring on Monday.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thankyou you two. Do you think it would be still possible to go ahead with the CHC eventhough the care home say they don't do it? The dementia nurse is going to ring on Monday.

MaNaAk

Some care homes are disinclined to investigate CHC as the funding is usually much less than the self funding rate.

The initial check list can lead to FNC (funded nursing care) instead of CHC.

It's worthwhile getting the opinion of the dementia nurse on Monday.

Meanwhile, only if you can summon up sufficient energy, try going through the check list
https://assets.publishing.service.g...lthcare_checklist_-_December_2018_revised.odt
yourself.
Read everything very carefully and expect to be down marked.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

National Dementia helpline have returned the call I made yesterday and said that I could use deferred payment for the house and contact Carers UK and Shelter. I feel better knowing I can do something.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A DPA (deferred payment agreement) is an option but nothing like as good as a property disregard.
It's essentially a loan secured on your Dad's house

• There are legal set up charges
  • On your Dad's death the loan, plus interest, will have to be repaid,
  • This usually means selling the house which has to be done within 3 months.
Try for the property disregard first, if you don't get it you still have the option of a DPA

If you don't ask, you won't get.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
A DPA (deferred payment agreement) is an option but nothing like as good as a property disregard.
It's essentially a loan secured on your Dad's house

• There are legal set up charges
  • On your Dad's death the loan, plus interest, will have to be repaid,
  • This usually means selling the house which has to be done within 3 months.
Try for the property disregard first, if you don't get it you still have the option of a DPA

If you don't ask, you won't get.

Thankyou Nitram

I feel better knowing I can do something.

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You having POA doesnt avctually come into anything as far as securing funding goes.

You need to be able to prove that you have made a significant investment in the house from your own money ( not your PWD) showing that its something you have invested in as your home.
( Like for instance half the gas/water /electricity. ) Any home improvements YOU have paid for,

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The dementia nurse never rang today so I may have got the date wrong. However I will check with the surgery tomorrow. I started looking at receipts and bank statements and it's going to take me sometime to do this. Thank goodness I do bookkeeping for my music lessons as this well help me assemble my case. I was also told that the fact that I work from home will help my case. I have probably lost pupils because dad started opening the door just when I was teaching!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I saw the dementia nurses at our surgery today and one of them will be calling at the care home on Thursday. We don't think that dad will be able to get CHC because he can still dress himself but the nurse is going to ask the care home manageress to do a needs test and take it from there. They also suggested I contact my local dementia friends coordinator to get information about more benefits for dad.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just saying that one of my brothers is has sent an email to say he is worried about me being in the house. I did mention seeing a solicitor and one brother said it's dad's house and the other doesn't listen to my ideas. I don't like to think he's worried but I can't bear to be told off on the phone.

MaNaAk

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Just saying that one of my brothers is has sent an email to say he is worried about me being in the house. I did mention seeing a solicitor and one brother said it's dad's house and the other doesn't listen to my ideas. I don't like to think he's worried but I can't bear to be told off on the phone.

MaNaAk
Why is he worried? What do your brothers think will happen while you are living there?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I don't think they trust me to see this through to the end and I am afraid that I have taken Amy In The US's advice by contacting them mainly through email. I am not stopping them from phoning or coming round and in a way it's nice to have brothers who care. However they have been putting their frustrations on to me eventhough they are not communicating with each other. That said the younger one is now more approachable but either way you look at it they are worried about me but they never really had to worry about Dad!

I am very busy with gathering evidence for the disregard but I am pleased to say that I am also rebuilding my career as a Piano and Violin Teacher. You might be interested to know that I have three new adult pupils and one of them is 90!

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I am pleased to say that I am also rebuilding my career as a Piano and Violin Teacher. You might be interested to know that I have three new adult pupils and one of them is 90!

Be careful how much you publicise this, using your Dad's house in relation to a business could cause various problems.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Sorry to update everyone like this but my youngest invisible came round today and made a list of items for the council to take. This is good as it will leave me with more space however he warned me that things will get ugly if I keep him and my other invisible who he does not communicate with in the dark about my plans.

I told him about getting disregard for the and he wanted to know what guarantee there was to that effect. I told I had receipts to show that what I had invested in the house. I mentioned the caring, the bills and my pupil's (but I will bear in mind what Nitram said)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Sorry to update everyone like this but my youngest invisible came round today and made a list of items for the council to take. This is good as it will leave me with more space however he warned me that things will get ugly if I keep him and my other invisible who he does not communicate with in the dark about my plans.

I told him about getting disregard for the and he wanted to know what guarantee there was to that effect. I told I had receipts to show that what I had invested in the house. I mentioned the caring, the bills and my pupil's (but I will bear in mind what Nitram said.

I mentioned the benefits to which he said I can't expect the council to pay for dad's care. He also asked what I would do if the care home was to ring up and say that the money had run out! I said that as I have power of attorney I know what is going out of dad's account. He said that sounds shifty! His partner tried to say something sensible but he seemed to carry on with his point of view.

We carried making a list of stuff for the council to take and when I said that I would like to keep a book about the second world war for dad so that I can show it to him. He said is dad going to read it and he was worried about me keeping all these books partly because if I have to move I would have trouble getting rid of them.

I was told that I am difficult to talk to because I am not letting on about any plans! He said he and my other invisible are concerned about Dad as he can't speak for himself and of course I am living in dad's house. My invisibles cannot afford to pay any top up fees and quite frankly I wasn't going to ask them anyway! He was saying that eventually he and our other brother would have to act and of course I should act quickly!

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thankyou Nitram. I'll bear that in mind.

When running a catering business based at a shop I used to included an expense of 'accommodation allowance' in respect of paperwork done at home and incidental home phone use.
The trick was to set it as high as I could without HMRC querying it yet not high enough for the LA to delve and start talking about non residential use.

Don't forget that however good your case is prepared and presented the disregard is still at the discretion of the LA, unlike spouse, disabled, under 18, it is not mandatory.
Still worth a try though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN