Two-pole hoist anyone?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
The person who came to see what kind of hoist we need suggested that a system involving two telescopic poles up to the ceiling and some kind of rail in-between might work for us, though our ceiling might be too high. I'm very interested for several reasons but when I google it I get car hoists. I should have written the name down because I think it was called 'two-pole (then some other name rather than hoist).

I'd be most grateful for any info.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The person who came to see what kind of hoist we need suggested that a system involving two telescopic poles up to the ceiling and some kind of rail in-between might work for us, though our ceiling might be too high. I'm very interested for several reasons but when I google it I get car hoists. I should have written the name down because I think it was called 'two-pole (then some other name rather than hoist).

I'd be most grateful for any info.
b

Hi,

I googled two pole ceiling hoist and the right type came up. I took a look at ones made by Dolphin and there are quite a few different ones on there from ceiling to free standing. Hope that helps

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
From what I can see online that was the type of hoist the used in the hospital to move our teenage cousin on the children's ward.
One nurse managed it fine.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try a search on two post hoist disabled

They are probably suggesting a two post hoist because the load bearing of ceilings in a top floor is usually less than that of ceilings on lower floors and the space for a hoist on wheels is limited..

An experienced builder or a structural engineer should be able to tell you if your ceiling, maybe with some additional load spreading structure, can accommodate a hoist.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
One nurse managed it fine.

That was what the hoist assessor said, that it was perfectly possible for one person to operate it. Obviously, two would be better but I'm sure there will be occasions when I'm on my own and need to move Sue.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Try a search on two post hoist disabled

They are probably suggesting a two post hoist because the load bearing of ceilings in a top floor is usually less than that of ceilings on lower floors and the space for a hoist on wheels is limited..

An experienced builder or a structural engineer should be able to tell you if your ceiling, maybe with some additional load spreading structure, can accommodate a hoist.

Thanks nitram. I think it was more the space issue. The downstairs room we eventually move to is a bit tight for a profile bed, single bed and conventional hoist. Plus, if it's suitable in other ways, it can be erected and dismantled in 10 mins apparently so easily moved downstairs when the time comes. We may have to pay for it though, but I'm prepared to do that if it works for us.