Two nightmare nights in a row, last night she wanted to kill herself

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
thank you, Joanne. I spoke to the OT and she is on the ball. I can go in to dermatology appointment tomorrow, she asked the receptionist. That should help me ask questions and help keep C a bit more calm as she answers questions.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hope it all goes well tomorrow. So good you can be there and that the dermatology department do seem to understand the problems that dementia can raise.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you both. She was in pretty good spirits today, joking with the nurse and with her daughter on the phone. They won't let me visit her in the ward tomorrow as everything is moving, but I can be there at dermatology and the OT has my number. So, see how it goes.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm back again. It's been quite a day already, not sure if anyone can advise or if I just need to write this down.
C was due at dermatology at 11.30 from the ward. I was cleared to meet her there. Traffic was horrendous through the centre of Bristol, so had to duck and dive round back streets. Anyway, I got there for 11.25 or something, but her pain meant they could not move her, so that was a waste of time. After a nice bit of piri piri chicken washed down with beer I called when I got home.
Dermatology have seen her, but are not talking to me. The nurse has no idea where the doctor or the OT I spoke to yesterday are. She has no idea what ward C will be on tomorrow as everyone is moving, but nobody knows where to. I left a message with carers liaison and PALS, but have no idea when those will be answered.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I hope someone gets in contact very soon @nae sporran. How annoying when it all seemed to be going so smoothly. Poor C, I hope she gets some pain relief and a solution to her skin problems pronto.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you, @Sarasa.
I managed to speak to the dermatology consultant and at least have a better understanding of the problem. Her age and her stroke / vascular dementia are the main risk factors for this awful condition. They can treat it with moisturisers and steroids, but that can take weeks. No estimate of how many weeks, but it's going to be a long autumn and winter ahead.
Getting hold of OTs and staff nurses has proven to be elusive still, but a student nurse let me speak to C on the phone and she sounded as cheery as she has done for a week. The care staff at our housing complex and a couple of the neighbours have been kind and sent her good wishes, so not all bad. I just need to see her tomorrow if they let me, just to make sure she is ok and to bring her anything she needs.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
A slightly better day today. I managed to visit for an hour and C was in pretty good form most of the time. She was telling the nurse how handsome I am, so maybe her eyesight is suffering a bit too. The nurse said she was in a lot of pain in the morning and her blood filled blisters are bursting now, so it looks bad. She was also a bit muddled talking to her daughter on the phone, but as long as she is smiling again there is hope.
I met a couple of the carers as I got home, and one said she had a dream about C last night with perfect skin. I hope that's a good sign, but at least someone is thinking about her.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
A slightly better day today. I managed to visit for an hour and C was in pretty good form most of the time. She was telling the nurse how handsome I am, so maybe her eyesight is suffering a bit too. The nurse said she was in a lot of pain in the morning and her blood filled blisters are bursting now, so it looks bad. She was also a bit muddled talking to her daughter on the phone, but as long as she is smiling again there is hope.
I met a couple of the carers as I got home, and one said she had a dream about C last night with perfect skin. I hope that's a good sign, but at least someone is thinking about her.
going in the right direction. maybe thats what needs to happen so the blisters can heal. just got to make that C doesnt get infections in them. ?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
going in the right direction. maybe thats what needs to happen so the blisters can heal. just got to make that C doesnt get infections in them. ?
That is what C's daughter has been most worried about since it got so bad a couple of weeks ago, thank you Jennifer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet