Two nightmare nights in a row, last night she wanted to kill herself

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I am so tired now and C is actually sleeping like a log at last. If you have seen my UTI thread you know she has ongoing skin complaints since April as well as ongoing UTIs every few weeks since November.
Over the weekend that came up in blisters. The practice nurse drained the blister on the side of her foot, but it still looks sore. On Wednesday morning somewhere around 2 or 3 she was in so much pain it took me nearly 2 hours of creams, ice packs and trying my calmest voice to settle her again. Last night around midnight she got up to go to the toilet and sat there repeating she wanted to die. Get me a knife, get me some pills. That sort of thing. I called 999 and the ambulance man was great at calming her down, getting her paracetemol, and letting her get back to bed about 2 o'clock.
The GP is phoning back later, so I can ask these questions again. Is it just the pain or does her dementia combined with UTIs, none for about 3 weeks as far as I know, make it so much harder to deal with. Does the pain get so bad she would be like this anyway. I suppose 5 months of itching, and 5 days of blistering would have me using language that not be allowed on the forum. I am out of my depth and a lovely lady is suffering.
Thanks for reading and all the best to you all in your own battles.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I am so tired now and C is actually sleeping like a log at last. If you have seen my UTI thread you know she has ongoing skin complaints since April as well as ongoing UTIs every few weeks since November.
Over the weekend that came up in blisters. The practice nurse drained the blister on the side of her foot, but it still looks sore. On Wednesday morning somewhere around 2 or 3 she was in so much pain it took me nearly 2 hours of creams, ice packs and trying my calmest voice to settle her again. Last night around midnight she got up to go to the toilet and sat there repeating she wanted to die. Get me a knife, get me some pills. That sort of thing. I called 999 and the ambulance man was great at calming her down, getting her paracetemol, and letting her get back to bed about 2 o'clock.
The GP is phoning back later, so I can ask these questions again. Is it just the pain or does her dementia combined with UTIs, none for about 3 weeks as far as I know, make it so much harder to deal with. Does the pain get so bad she would be like this anyway. I suppose 5 months of itching, and 5 days of blistering would have me using language that not be allowed on the forum. I am out of my depth and a lovely lady is suffering.
Thanks for reading and all the best to you all in your own battles.
I am so sorry you are having such a devastating time. I wish I could help. Kindredx

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hello @nae sporran , I don't know the specifics of C's situation, but when Mum had shingles, I found a combination of Piriton tablets and Paracetamol and Codeine (soluble ones), helped her to sleep - in addition to her usual anti-anxiety medicines. (I ran it past our excellent pharmacist first.)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you both for your support. C is actually taking prescribed anti histamines and it is not helping yet. I was on co-codamol myself years ago for sciatic pain and it did make me sleep, so that is worth asking the doctor about.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
It’s been a nightmare time for both of you @nae sporran . I think co-codamol is a good idea if possible - it never fails to knock me out! My dad used to express the wish to die, but never anything more specific - and that used to upset me. Maybe the doc will been happy about you using co-codamol at bedtime so you can both get a few hours sleep.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats not great and no sleep is the worst, hope its not infected, the blister otherwise more anti-bios. maybe they could use something like amitriptyline which is an anti-depressant but low dose is used for pain and one of the effects is that relaxed and drowsy. my husband has it at night initially for restless legs

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you.
The doctor did suggest anti depressants last week, but I dismissed it due to bad personal experience 20 years ago. Like the anti anxiety meds it has to be worth looking at after last night. Nurse Practitioner is coming out later for a full assessment. She is pretty thorough, so I'll get my list of questions together.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do hope the nurse practitioner can help @nae sporran. You have certainly been having a rough time and need much more help than you are getting.

Please don't be afraid to ask.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you Sylvia and Helen. I have the outline of a lot of questions I need to ask. We should have been going to a music session for people with dementia and their carers this afternoon. That would have been a great bit a respite for both of us, but we don't know when the nurse will be here and if C will be fit after all that is happening. It runs until Christmas, so hopefully there will be another chance.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you.
The doctor did suggest anti depressants last week, but I dismissed it due to bad personal experience 20 years ago. Like the anti anxiety meds it has to be worth looking at after last night. Nurse Practitioner is coming out later for a full assessment. She is pretty thorough, so I'll get my list of questions together.
i take it as well as my husband and its good for pain, helps to relax and sleep. its an anti-depressant rather anti-anxiety and you have a really low dose, 10-30 mg. ive had it for 25 yrs and had no problems

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks again everyone for advice and support.
After putting a few suggestions and questions to the Nurse Practitioner and taking her advice we have a plan. Oral morphine twice a day for the pain which will make C sleepy anyhow was preferred to other options. She does not want to give too many tablets on top of the ones already prescribed. Steroid cream on blisters and broken skin should help to ease those within a week. There's a few other notes in my pad now including a way to hopefully reduce temperature at night, but fingers and toes crossed for a better night tonight.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats better at least C will be more comfortable and able to sleep and steroids will sort everything else out. hope you have a goodnight sleep tonight

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Thank you.
I'm glad you are reconsidering the anti depressants @nae sporran as 20 years makes a huge difference in medications. Let's hope there will be something to make C's life and yours more comfortable.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Life just gets harder and the pain just won't go away. C's blisters are just getting bigger and it feels like 3 or 4 new ones pop up for every one that bursts.
The Nurse Practitioner increased the Oramorph to 5ml four times a day, but I gave C the new dose at somewhere around 4 o'clock and she is still so uncomfortable. After so many rough nights the GP has spoken to the Infirmary who will take her in tomorrow if we go early. That will mean sitting around A & E for a few hours and I'll be ready for a walk and pint, but C should get a couple of days of nursing treatment ahead of her appointment with the dermatologist on Friday.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
probably for the best. at least they may get her pain under control and C can have some rest and sleep. you can as well hopes she gets better soon and they find a treatment that works

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bottomls