Two good films

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
After my baking yesterday I decided to relax and watch the film “War Horse” on our satellite TV, a very good film but it must have taken a good deal of retakes to get some of the scenes right with the horse.

Then I watched the film “The Iron Lady” about the rise to power and political career of Margaret Thatcher which is an exceptionally good film as it’s portrayed through the eyes and memory of Margret Thatcher within her Alzheimer’s which the well known actress (Whose name now eludes me) portrayed the role and the Dementia extremely well, I could feel Margaret Thatches confusions and bewilderment at the loss of her husband ‘Denise’ and then all her confusion and frustrations at trying to cope with simple days tasks… but one thing to my mind that does come over very clear in the film is that of Margret Thatcher being very much in denial of her illness…

As I said an extremely good film that I could relate to in many, many ways as I could see myself within my own Alzheimer’s through some of the scenes… it’s definitely a film that should be watched by people to better understand Dementia and how it can have an effect on people… I know for one thing in that it left me with an immense amount of mixed emotions as to my own condition.

horserider100

Jan 30, 2013
manchester
hi barry

can relate to the horse bit, my wife and here friends have 4 of them, with stables in dunham massey. every night we bring them in from the field is a bit scary. they do have minds of there own, cheers.

may39

Dec 10, 2012
My sister and I watched the Margret Thatcher film recently and were very moved by the way it was done. My late dad had alzheimers and my mum has dementia so we could relate to it. It was interesting that the film was portrayed through her eyes and it came across as very realistic. Not to be watched before bedtime though as it is one of those films that really makes you think afterwards ! Glad you enjoyed it, I think its one I will watch again soon ( thats something I dont normally do either !! )
D xx

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
I watched this recently and was very impressed at Meryl Streep's performance as well as the perspective. I wasn't looking forward to it in some ways thinking it might be very documentary style. I was not a fan of Mrs T, but seeing her portrayed showing her frailties made me more sympathetic towards her.

Unfortunately, every time I hear her name what pops into my head is the Spitting Image sketch where her and her cabinet are out at a meal and the waiter is taking her order. When he asks about the vegetables (she would like to order) the puppet quips
"they will have what I am having!" ho hum!

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks for your comments and I'm glade you liked the "Iron Lady' as it also made me think about hard about my own illness both during and after the film! And I agree its not a film to watch before you go to bed as the mind can be working overtime!
Best wishes
Barry