Twiddle muffs

JO OGDEN

Mar 4, 2015
I am currently in the process of introducing twiddle muffs for the trust where i work as a physiotherapy assistant. I have discussed this with quite a few people where i work and also with family and friends. I wondered what other peoples thoughts were about them and how you feel they would benefit a person with dementia. Also if any one has given a twiddle muff to a relative or patient, how they feel this is working.

Thank you for your help in advance.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Gosh that is expensive. Ive seen hand made things that are like cushions with zips, buttons/buttonholes, pockets etc. They were used by a friend of mines mum with Vas D who was very restless and kept picking at things, so it worked for her. She also had a cushion that was like a big cat made from fake fur that she would put on her lap and stroke.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
I am currently in the process of introducing twiddle muffs for the trust where i work as a physiotherapy assistant. I have discussed this with quite a few people where i work and also with family and friends. I wondered what other peoples thoughts were about them and how you feel they would benefit a person with dementia. Also if any one has given a twiddle muff to a relative or patient, how they feel this is working.

Thank you for your help in advance.

My daughter made a sensory cushion for my husband, which he feels and fiddles with for a while every so often, but he always seems to manage to break bits off each time (and it was made well) , but he does destroy quite a lot of things, picture frames lose their pictures , knobs on furniture are taken off, plate guard is bent, anything that can be taken apart is taken apart, unless I see it first !
I think a fiddle muff is worth introducing if it's at a reasonable cost, but it will only work for some.
Good luck.

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
The nursing home my mum is in (and dad until he passed away) has a few of those cat muffs. I think they are very helpful. Dad had one on a few times & it definitely gave him comfort.

JO OGDEN

Mar 4, 2015
Thank you for the feedback. We are getting them made on a donation basis by some lovely people in the community that are fabulous knitters. I think the over all thoughts are that they wont work for everyone and items that are attached must be attached very well but we are going to give it a go. I will keep you posted how they go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamelaann