1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. JO OGDEN

JO OGDEN Registered User

Mar 4, 2015
    I am currently in the process of introducing twiddle muffs for the trust where i work as a physiotherapy assistant. I have discussed this with quite a few people where i work and also with family and friends. I wondered what other peoples thoughts were about them and how you feel they would benefit a person with dementia. Also if any one has given a twiddle muff to a relative or patient, how they feel this is working.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
  3. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Gosh that is expensive. Ive seen hand made things that are like cushions with zips, buttons/buttonholes, pockets etc. They were used by a friend of mines mum with Vas D who was very restless and kept picking at things, so it worked for her. She also had a cushion that was like a big cat made from fake fur that she would put on her lap and stroke.

4. Feline

Feline Registered User

Oct 25, 2012
    East Devon
    My daughter made a sensory cushion for my husband, which he feels and fiddles with for a while every so often, but he always seems to manage to break bits off each time (and it was made well) , but he does destroy quite a lot of things, picture frames lose their pictures , knobs on furniture are taken off, plate guard is bent, anything that can be taken apart is taken apart, unless I see it first !
    I think a fiddle muff is worth introducing if it's at a reasonable cost, but it will only work for some.
    Good luck.

5. KingB

KingB Registered User

May 8, 2011
    Berkshire
    The nursing home my mum is in (and dad until he passed away) has a few of those cat muffs. I think they are very helpful. Dad had one on a few times & it definitely gave him comfort.

6. JO OGDEN

JO OGDEN Registered User

Mar 4, 2015
    Thank you for the feedback. We are getting them made on a donation basis by some lovely people in the community that are fabulous knitters. I think the over all thoughts are that they wont work for everyone and items that are attached must be attached very well but we are going to give it a go. I will keep you posted how they go.