twenty years young and concerned...

issybusy

Sep 11, 2015
Hello...

My Grandad is in the later stages of dementia and has unfortunately had a very quick decline. I, myself am 20 years old and also suffer from memory loss, long term and short term. It's not something which I have had diagnosed to a huge extent, however, I was tested for dyslexia earlier this year and my memory was a huge part of my conformation for the disability. Throughout this past year also, I was training in Musical Theatre at a performing arts school in London, of course, part of my training was to learn routines, songs and script at a quick pace. It was very evident early on that my capability for this was very small, often completely forgetting routines when others managed to remember the whole section. It's not only my training that I noticed this memory issue, day to day, I struggle to learn and remember peoples names, constantly forget where I have left things and will often forget certain words and then have to think of a usually, less literate word. Only being twenty years of age, I sometimes laugh off that it could be possible that I could have such a disease at this stage of my life, however, could this be early warning signs of what is to come?

Recently, I watched a film, one of which some of you may have heard of, 'Still Alice'. It got me really thinking about Alzheimer's and the effect of which it could have on my life in the future. I'm determined to help others fighting this battle and to ensure that I don't have to endure it at a later point of my life.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Issy, there are so many explanations for why this is happening to you. In my experience, stress/anxiety has a big effect on how our minds work. If you're worried I'd suggest going to your doctor and asking for his opinion. But, however well-adjusted we think we are, we can't be expected to not be affected by the circumstances surrounding us. It doesn't mean you have a health problem; it may be that your body/mind is telling you, 'I'm struggling with this'.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Issy, welcome to TP
Now get your a** down to the doctors, tell them what you've said on here and get a full check up. it could be any number of things, dodgy thyroid - easily curable, vitamin or mineral deficiency - easily curable, early signs of being diabetic - easily curable, any number of things all of which are treatable, don't do nothing, do something and do it soon.
Now that I've stopped being shouty the odds of you have AZ are 10 to the power of my overdraft, you've more chance of winning the lottery. I appreciate you've been through the experience with your granddad but self diagnosis isn't the answer what is wrong with you may be relatively minor so please, for me, get yourself checked out.
I have a daughter at uni in London, I'd hate to think she was thinking like you are just because her mum has AZ she might be getting it too, please go and get a check up.
K

issybusy

Sep 11, 2015
Hi Issy, welcome to TP
Now get your a** down to the doctors, tell them what you've said on here and get a full check up. it could be any number of things, dodgy thyroid - easily curable, vitamin or mineral deficiency - easily curable, early signs of being diabetic - easily curable, any number of things all of which are treatable, don't do nothing, do something and do it soon.
Now that I've stopped being shouty the odds of you have AZ are 10 to the power of my overdraft, you've more chance of winning the lottery. I appreciate you've been through the experience with your granddad but self diagnosis isn't the answer what is wrong with you may be relatively minor so please, for me, get yourself checked out.
I have a daughter at uni in London, I'd hate to think she was thinking like you are just because her mum has AZ she might be getting it too, please go and get a check up.
K

Thank you for your response, that doctors appointment is getting booked as we speak! Many thanks :)

issybusy

Sep 11, 2015
Issy, there are so many explanations for why this is happening to you. In my experience, stress/anxiety has a big effect on how our minds work. If you're worried I'd suggest going to your doctor and asking for his opinion. But, however well-adjusted we think we are, we can't be expected to not be affected by the circumstances surrounding us. It doesn't mean you have a health problem; it may be that your body/mind is telling you, 'I'm struggling with this'.

This was reassuring to read, thank you very much! :)