Tv

San B

Aug 2, 2020
Hello everyone, I am very new to this but dearly in need of support, or suggestions. My parents have just moved in with us, and my father has Alzheimer’s. At the moment the biggest issue we are experiencing is that he has seen everything tv before.......even live football. He was so dearly looking forward to watching the fa cup final, but when I asked him how it was going he’s said... my enjoyment is is failed as I have seen this match before.......it was live, but there is now way he would accept it. Sorry, but am so new to this I would appreciate any guidance. It is not just football, in his mind he seen everything before.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi @San B and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

My husband was the same, never found a solution and we stopped watching tv because it caused so much distress. I always found it best to just go along with it to just say something very simple but certainly not correct him.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes dad was exactly the same @San B

Seen it, been there, used to work with that man and so on. Been in every shop on the antique programmes. Stopped off in some strange places while cruising, Baghdad being one of them and the Himalayas another time.

I just used to go along with it too.

San B

Aug 2, 2020
Hi @San B and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

My husband was the same, never found a solution and we stopped watching tv because it caused so much distress. I always found it best to just go along with it to just say something very simple but certainly not correct him.
Thank you for replying, we feel so alone in these earlyish days,. Life has suddenly changed

San B

Aug 2, 2020

Seen it, been there, used to work with that man and so on. Been in every shop on the antique programmes. Stopped off in some strange places while cruising, Baghdad being one of them and the Himalayas another time.

Thank you, I feel like it is an oddity just to us x

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Wherever anyone went on holiday, my mum had always been there, it wasn't very nice and the wine was undrinkable! This has now become a family joke and other people wonder why we always comment about the wine when describing our holidays to each other!

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
You just have to go along with what your loved one with denentia says because for them it is the truth. With the football I would say something like, well its a really good match and is worth watching again! When I mention or drive past any place with my mum she always earnestly says "I've been there".....

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Sadly, this having been there, done that eventually fades. In his last year dad could watch the same quiz shows over and over again with no memory of having ever seen them before. I on the other hand knew all the answers of 'who wants to be a millionaire '

I watched a batch of Fawlty Towers with dad one night and he thought they were hilarious and the following night my husband watched the same 3 episodes with him and he said dad really enjoyed them. He had no idea that he had seen it the night before. It was as though the memory had been wiped from his mind. I found this more difficult than the earlier phase.

San B

Aug 2, 2020
Wherever anyone went on holiday, my mum had always been there, it wasn't very nice and the wine was undrinkable! This has now become a family joke and other people wonder why we always comment about the wine when describing our holidays to each other!
Thank you for that

San B

Aug 2, 2020
Sadly, this having been there, done that eventually fades. In his last year dad could watch the same quiz shows over and over again with no memory of having ever seen them before. I on the other hand knew all the answers of 'who wants to be a millionaire '

I watched a batch of Fawlty Towers with dad one night and he thought they were hilarious and the following night my husband watched the same 3 episodes with him and he said dad really enjoyed them. He had no idea that he had seen it the night before. It was as though the memory had been wiped from his mind. I found this more difficult than the earlier phase.
Many thanks
You just have to go along with what your loved one with denentia says because for them it is the truth. With the football I would say something like, well its a really good match and is worth watching again! When I mention or drive past any place with my mum she always earnestly says "I've been there".....
thanks, we are going to that

San B

Aug 2, 2020

Thanks, we will. It’s just a relief knowing this happens to others