TV - The Real Marigold Hotel - Can't Wait!

jude50

Dec 28, 2011
Cardiff
What lovely photos both. I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the programme. It all looked so very exciting but I'm not sure I would be brave enough to go.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Don't know what I did wrong izzy, but when I clicked onto the videos, my phone froze so had to switch it off.

What I saw was wonderful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I thought it was in Jaipur but just checked and it was Jodhpur.

My mistake Izzy. It was the pink palaces which caused the confusion. They are also in Jaipur.

I caught sight of Bill. Lovely. :)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Ahhh worked out what I did wrong. I clicked on them before they were fully downloaded and must have freaked my phone out :D

Lovely videos. Not a place that I've ever really wanted to go to, but really enjoy the videos.

I've recorded marigold, and am hoping to watch it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Yes! First episode did live up to my expectations.
25 years ago hubby & I went to India and we also visited Jaipur. Looks like little has changed 'down on the streets', I'm sure that it has behind the scenes.
I agree Izzy, The Palace of The Winds is stunning - even more so because you'd expect it to be in the middle of nowhere not right in the middle of all the hustle and bustle.
Roll on episode two.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I'm in the middle of doing something important and time consuming which must be done today. But last night's programme has been running through my mind and I just had to pop in and read your comments.

Delighted to read that you all enjoyed it so much, as did I. Loved every minute. Also those participating, all interesting people in different ways. I can imagine all the memories it brought back for you, Sylvia; with Helen, with Dhiren. Also you with Bill, Izzy.

The unknown carer who was coming was early and left seconds before it started then I just sat back and soaked up every minute. After watching Rosemary, the chef, being taken through relaxation/meditation by that lovely Indian man, which fascinated me, I had such a wonderful feeling of total peace and relaxation. We could do with that.

I did have a taste of it some years ago when I had a few one-to-one sessions with a wonderful lady at a cancer Maggie's Centre and the latter sessions I really did experience that total relaxation and complete peace. But then life got in the way and I have never recaptured the ability again.

Thanks for the photos Izzy. I'd love to go to India but too late now... in my dreams. Sigh.

Visiting the Tai Mahal does sound a unique experience.

Back to reality and business. I did enjoy reading your posts. Roll on next week.

Loo x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
What did you think of part 2/3 of 'The Real Marigold Hotel'? It took me time to settle into it this week as I missed about twenty minutes at the beginning but caught up later.

I still enjoyed it, learning a little about the people, culture and much more, and some of the participants interest me as their personalities emerge

The health service was impressive although it seems difficult to obtain unless you can go privately, but no where as expensive as in the UK. They could all easily afford it. But not of much help to the many very poor Indian people.

Did not fancy travelling by train! A friend who looked into going to India this year, I think on an organised trip, pulled out when she heard much of the travel would be by train, and heard about how unpredictable and chaotic it can be.

I wonder if any of them might actually retired to India... Jan Leeming sounds tempted but....? I doubt it.... She sounds so lonely....

The guru she saw fascinated me, but then the sceptic in me thought he did not tell her anything he could not have learned from reading about her, a well known personality who has publicly revealed a lot about her life. Or am I over cynical?

Loo x

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
Watched both episodes brilliant
I am a carer and after I watched it I felt quite calm myself
Alternative therapy there is a lot to be said for it
They all seemed very positive about the yoga etc QUOTE=Hair Twiddler;1226140]I am so looking forward to watching this TV program on Tuesday evening.
..... crikey - let's hope it lives up to my hype!

The Real Marigold Hotel takes a bunch of famous/semi-famous/sometime-heard-of over 75 year olds to experience living together in India for 3 weeks to explore whether they can have a better retirement there rather than in the UK.

It looks a hoot...but I suspect will throw up some serious issues on the theme of getting older.

BBC 2 Tuesday at 9pm - you'll know what I'm up to.

(no backhanders from the BBC were exchanged before this post was made)[/QUOTE]

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
We were taken to see the sunset and then a second visit to see the sunrise was optional . It goes without saying we went.

"What made it so lovely was the feeling of awe and reverence among all visitors. The number of Indians and people from all over the world having the same feelings. The atmosphere was electric.

A wonderful programme
I can understand your comment

--"the feeling of awe and reverence among all visitors. The number of Indians and people from all over the world having the same feelings. The atmosphere was electric.__"

This history of the Taj Mahal is interesting

http://www.history.com/topics/taj-mahal
jimbo

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I am enjoying it too & I'm glad they are visiting people from all walks of life.

I did feel sorry for Rosemary this week, she looked so vulnerable when talking about needing to lose weight & get fitter. She's obviously one of those people who everyone thinks is a coper because she puts a "front" on, but underneath she's not. (like the rest of us I suppose )

They all seem worried about Jan, but I feel she's tougher than she looks, she can talk about her life & problems, so doesn't bottle things up.

The guru she saw fascinated me, but then the sceptic in me thought he did not tell her anything he could not have learned from reading about her, a well known personality who has publicly revealed a lot about her life. Or am I over cynical?

I felt a bit like that, the way he talked the information all of a go & then the session was over.

I love trains, but couldn't have undertaken that train journey, they think Miriam is obsessed with finding a loo, I'm worse :D

Was touching at the Taj Mahal when Wayne phoned his partner to show him " Look where we are" :)

Lin x