TV - The Real Marigold Hotel - Can't Wait!

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
I am so looking forward to watching this TV program on Tuesday evening.
..... crikey - let's hope it lives up to my hype!

The Real Marigold Hotel takes a bunch of famous/semi-famous/sometime-heard-of over 75 year olds to experience living together in India for 3 weeks to explore whether they can have a better retirement there rather than in the UK.

It looks a hoot...but I suspect will throw up some serious issues on the theme of getting older.

BBC 2 Tuesday at 9pm - you'll know what I'm up to.

(no backhanders from the BBC were exchanged before this post was made)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m looking forwards to it too. :)

I know when Helen and I were in India, it cost us our fare and hotel but the living , meals, extras etc. were so much cheaper than here.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
oh thank you for reminding me...looking forward to it too
perhaps we will all be booking flights soon after !!

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Marigold Hotel

Got the record series button set :)
At least it would be warmer and hopefully drier there...or is it India that has a Monsoon season????

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Im looking forward to it too.I love Miriam Margoleys, she's one of the oldest at 74. I think the youngest is 61.

I really hope its as good as it promises

Lin x4f

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I am another looking forward to watching tomorrow night. Although a carer due between 8.45 - 9.15pm. the time any decent TV is on, and one I've not met before, could be later or here longer. But can catch up later on iPlayer though not the same.

I've read several articles about the series and hope it is as good as I imagine it could be. I like that it is not a script but the people being themselves.

Shall never forget Helen and Sylvia's wonderful updates and photos when they were in India. It was like being there with them. Have always wanted to go there, and especially to meet the Indian people who sound wonderful.

Thanks Izzy for the link.

Loo

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
maybe we will all be chartering a plane and taking over an hotel in 3 weeks time!!! and then we can make a series with our loved ones!!!!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for this thread have wanted to watch this since Sylvia and Helen's trip:)

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire
I have just watched this programme and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Really looking forward to the next episode. Would love to go to India but don't expect I ever will.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I loved watching it and I love most of the participants.

But what happens to the retired people when dementia strikes? Or Vascular Parkinsonism? Or something else? Who will look after them?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I loved every minute and lived every minute. I wanted to be there.

As well as memories of mine and Helen`s visit, Dhiren and I went to Jaipur in 2004 and again in 2006 and tonight`s programme brought back some more lovely memories.

Next week it looks as if they will visit the Taj Mahal.

Attachments

• Grannie G Taj Mahal.jpg
    Grannie G Taj Mahal.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It brought back wonderful memories for me too Sylvia. The Palace of the Winds in Jaipur was one of my favourite buildings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 680
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We were taken to see the sunset and then a second visit to see the sunrise was optional . It goes without saying we went.

What made it so lovely was the feeling of awe and reverence among all visitors. The number of Indians and people from all over the world having the same feelings. The atmosphere was electric.