TV Remote Control

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
TV is still a big part of Dad's life - but his use of the Sky remote control takes him to some interesting places, not all intended!

I've been looking at the Flipper remote controls, but can't see answers to the two questions I have...

i) does the main Sky remote control still work as normal alongside the Flipper one?

ii) does the selection of up to 25 favourite channels give any kind of limited EPG or is it just a case of going channel to channel to see what's on?

(For all his ability to hit any one of a number of buttons on the remote control, Dad still uses the TV Guide to decide what he wants to watch. I really don't want to take that away from him)

I'd be interested to hear from carers who've introduced a simpler remote control and how it's worked out.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I bought the Flipper remote for my mum a few months ago. It looks so simple, what could possibly go wrong? Turns out lots!

Firstly my mum's old TV (square screen, weighs about 5 tons) did not turn on with the on/off button, but with a channel number, so it didn't work for that. I replaced her TV with a second hand flat screen TV and programmed it to work both the SKY and the TV. Second problem was that the TV wasn't overly responsive and needed the on/off button pressed twice to turn it on. This meant that it turned the SKY on and then off again so the TV and Sky were always out of sync. I then re-programmed it just to work the TV and the 3rd problem was that she would use the channel buttons in an attempt to change the Sky channel, and that just changed the TV programme to one which wasn't tuned to Sky. Fourth problem was was that mum did not recognise the Flipper remote and it disappeared to who knows where! I ended up just putting her old TV back.

Fast forward to last week. Her old TV had finally given up and the picture was just bright red. I was reluctant to buy my mum a new TV as I thought there was no way she could manage it. The Flipper had re-emerged, so I tried it with my TV and it worked OK. So, I bought a new TV for me and gave my mum my old one. I say 'gave' - she has contributed about a quarter of the amount of my new TV as I really didn't need a new one, and it's a lot less than she could have bought a new one for. I programmed it for both SKY and the TV with the pre-programmed channels, but she does still like to see the TV guide and can manage that with the Sky remote, so I re-programmed it just for the TV and taped over the channel buttons with parcel tape.

So far so good... The Flipper has not disappeared and the constant phone calls that she can't turn the TV on have stopped.

If your dad is watching inappropriate channels could you try using the Parental Controls options?

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
Thanks Sue.

I'm pleased to say he hasn't landed in the adult channels :) - but i was very grateful that I've got a PIN in place. He spotted the latest Star Wars pre-order and was trying to get it to play, ignoring the wording that talked of something like a £13 cost!

No, he seems to end up mostly in foreign language radio stations - no doubt pressing the up arrow when what he really wants to do is turn up the volume. And I regularly have to 'housekeep' the Planner as all manner of programmes get accidentally programmed to record.

From your experience though it sounds as if it's possible to use the Sky remote control as well as the Flipper - so that the full Sky functionality can be accessed as and when, and Dad can use the second remote just to channel hop between his programmed favourite channels?

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I don't tend to buy programmes on Sky so don't know how easy it is to disable it. I'm guessing there must be a way.

Yes, you can still use the Sky remote to work Sky, and the Flipper will work both.

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
I don't tend to buy programmes on Sky so don't know how easy it is to disable it. I'm guessing there must be a way.

Parental Controls can be adjusted to demand a PIN for any paid-for services and so I've made sure this is in place.

Thank you for the information about the flipper. I ordered it online and it turned up today but I haven't attempted to programme it yet. One for tomorrow!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Can I suggest you are in a nice calm frame of mind when you programme the remote? It's do-able, but you do need to concentrate - your loved one constantly asking you what you are doing does not help!

Today the Flipper has disappeared - I knew I had spoken too soon ...

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27