TV Remote Control

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Hello I wonder if anyone would recommend a simple TV remote control for my mum to replace the 2 she has now? She has one for her TV and one for Virgin which changes the channels. She only watches about 6 channels which I would like to be able to programme in. She rings me multiple times a day at the moment unable to remember how to change the channel (she can no longer follow the written instructions in front of her). Thank you.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Linsac There are a variety of simple remote controls available- some examples are in the link below. When my mum started to have difficulties using a remote even a simple one was no good and it was a case of just having to keep to one channel but if you think that your mum would still be able to operate a simple remote they're worth trying.

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
I'm not even sure she would. The thought of teaching her to use something different fills me with dread as it sends her into a complete panic. It is a shame, she still likes watching tv and can follow it. I would ideally get rid of the Virgin box so she just has one remote but she loves watching tennis and golf which is only on cable. Thanks anyway, these were the ones I looked at but wanted to hear if anyone had any luck with them.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
I'm not even sure she would. The thought of teaching her to use something different fills me with dread as it sends her into a complete
panic. It is a shame, she still likes
watching tv and can follow it. I would ideally get rid of the Virgin box so she
just has one remote but she loves
watching tennis and golf which is
only on cable. Thanks anyway, these
were the ones I looked at but wanted
to hear if anyone had any luck with
them.

Hi Linsac
We had the same problems worse thing was OH kept pressing buttons and messing up the TV settings !!
Eventually discontinued the free view box, bought a new TV with everything included (so only had one control) Even then he kept pressing buttons and messing up the settings. I now hide the main control and have bought him a “Handel easy control” he can use that but just to adjust volume and change channel. Thing is as I am here most of the time I can sort out any problems as they arise. ( usually ?) so maybe not helpful for you

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi my mother in law was very much like this. She was on her own and quickly lost the ability to follow instructions. My husband gave her a simple radio and she was completely incapable of switching it on even with written instructions. The only way was to have someone with her to prompt her.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
@MrsV, I had to smile, before I moved in full time with mum the telephone and TV remote were constant issues similar to your experiences. I got mum a new flat screen TV for her bedroom which she kept placing on its back to use it as a table top for her books, creams and the now totally pointless remote. Unsurprisingly the TV broke within a matter of a few weeks, I still have it tucked away to dispose of, can't find the remote though........

Fiona F

Apr 12, 2020
Southampton
My mum can't use the TV remote control either. She calls it the 'button box'. She constantly puts it in a 'safe place' - so I'm always turning the house upside down looking for it - the usual hidey places are - in the bed, under the bed, in her chest of drawers, in the bathroom, or in her handbag. I tell her just leave it on the coffee table all the time then she, the carers & I always know where it is. The trouble is mum has lots of hallucinations & thinks that 'the people' will take the 'button box'. We usually keep her TV on local or classical radio channels rather on actual tv channels, because she gets very het up with the people on tv constantly 'talking' to her & 'asking her questions' etc. She does manage to press the off button at night to switch it off, but then hides the controller!

AndrewSL

Oct 31, 2021
We are having the same problem. Our mum can't follow instructions nor recall what things are called. Nouns has disappeared!
I'm from a tech background so have though about remove the "Smart" TV with just a confusion of choices and replace it with a big dumb PC monitor. All it would do is display the Freeview box input. The PC display (a large HD flatscreen) can be childlocked off to just the Freeview input.
It maybe possible to strip out the Freeview channels to just 4 channels and give her a dementia suitable remote control. It might be useful for a brief period in her decline.
For her the radio plays interviews hosted by her children! and "the people" get in through the phones and argue all night.

Frozen1234

Nov 13, 2019
I haven't posted before but was drawn to this thread as my dad, who was diagnosed with vascular dementia a couple of years ago, can't use the remote control to change channels or turn up the volume. We have written instructions for him but it doesn't help. I am slowly learning that he cannot learn anything "new" so even though I have explained things and written very simple instructions, he can't follow them at all.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I haven't posted before but was drawn to this thread as my dad, who was diagnosed with vascular dementia a couple of years ago, can't use the remote control to change channels or turn up the volume. We have written instructions for him but it doesn't help. I am slowly learning that he cannot learn anything "new" so even though I have explained things and written very simple instructions, he can't follow them at all.
Hi! My dad is like this. I tend to change it when I’m there. But that leaves all the other times. I have bought him several remotes but he still doesn’t get it. So I’m afraid there is little you can do as the brain is not able to process the procedure to do it. What about listening to the radio?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Frozen1234
a warm welcome to posting on DTP
my dad had a TV that I could programme to set his viewing for days ahead, which meant he didn't need to use the remote .... it did also mean that it was generally on all the time ... the morning carer turned it on and the carer who put him to bed turned it off

Frozen1234

Nov 13, 2019
Hi! My dad is like this. I tend to change it when I’m there. But that leaves all the other times. I have bought him several remotes but he still doesn’t get it. So I’m afraid there is little you can do as the brain is not able to process the procedure to do it. What about listening to the radio?
Hi! It is so reassuring to hear other people have the same issues! Dad can just about do the radio and still plays CDs so I hope that continues for a while longer. It is obviously the remote that confuses him (he has been known to try and switch on the tv with his mobile!). Like you, I try and change the channel when I'm there so all he has to do is switch it on but I fear even this is becoming a struggle for him...

Frozen1234

Nov 13, 2019
hello @Frozen1234
a warm welcome to posting on DTP
my dad had a TV that I could programme to set his viewing for days ahead, which meant he didn't need to use the remote .... it did also mean that it was generally on all the time ... the morning carer turned it on and the carer who put him to bed turned it off
Thank you! This site is so, so helpful. I often read the posts. Just as you think you have got things under control some new challenge arises...