1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Q&A: Dementia Together Magazine - Wed 25 April, 4-5pm

Do you have any questions about Dementia together, previously known as Living with dementia magazine? Maybe you'd like to know how they worked with people affected by dementia to come up with the magazine's new name, or how they decide on the articles to publish each issue? Danny and Gareth from the magazine team will be on hand to answer your questions in this thread on Wednesday 25 April between 4-5pm.

Feel free to post any questions between now and then, and we'll answer them next Wednesday.

Tv licence advice

Discussion in 'Equipment and technology' started by jelba, Apr 14, 2018 at 8:57 AM.

1. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Go to get a tv licence for mum room end of the month as current one expires from the previous tenant at the care home told we have to do it as care home only got licence for the tv Sunday in the lounge mum got dementia and looked online about a arc licence going to ring them in a week time to sort one out and just wondering about any advice thank you

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Well done, nitram, I was just coming on to say the same thing. It shouldn't have to be the care home resident having to apply for an individual licence, it's their job to sort out.

4. marmarlade

marmarlade Registered User

Jan 26, 2015
    when my hubby was in care we had to have a t.v licence for his room as the home one only covered the lounge that they used, T,V licenceing said the home had to apply for it for him.home said they applied for him and was told it was our place to apply for the licence,and so it went on,by the time we had the licence hubby was moved to a dementia nursing home .then we started applying for a refund .so hope you get on better than I did

5. crazycatlady3

crazycatlady3 Registered User

Nov 19, 2017
    How old is your hubby?

6. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Going to get a tv licence in my name for my mum probably pay monthly on direct debit got to end of the month before the old license runs out got a POA and been told I can claim the money back for it just got care home to sort tv out for mum as current one is broken and is stuck on itv going to ring tv people up next Monday to sort it out then

7. crazycatlady3

crazycatlady3 Registered User

Nov 19, 2017
    Aren't TV licences free for over 75's?

8. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  9. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Yes, my wife will be eligible for one in 10 years time, not everyone on here is in the older age range, only 4 more years before I get my state pension:)
    My wife's been in care for 2.5 years and no one's ever mentioned a TV licence, if they did I'd just ask them to take the TV out of her room, she never watches it or spends any time in there other than to sleep. Even when the TV is on in the lounge she can't follow it.
    As Nitram says the home can get an ARC licence at £7.50 per room per year so on the whole scale of things that's peanuts against the cost of the room itself, any home that expects some or all or its residents to pay for a TV licence because they can't be "bothered" to apply for an ARC licence sounds a bit strange.
    Could someone with AZ be taken to court for not having a TV licence? Is each room in the home registered as a separate address on the TV licencing database? Seems a bit odd to me, is it a home that's part of a group or a privately owned home?
    K

10. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    My aunt is 84 and in a care home. The home asked for her NI number in order to avoid paying for a TV licence.

11. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    My husband was in a nursing home for 4 years and I was never asked to pay for a tv licence either.

12. Soobee

Soobee Volunteer Host

Aug 22, 2009
    South
    My mum was never asked to pay for a tv licence in her nursing home. However, in her empty house we got loads of threatening letters because the TV licensing authority assumed that someone was watching telly from that address, despite us informing them otherwise.

13. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    When my mother came to live with me I phoned the TV licence people and they transferred her licence to my address, cancelled my licence and gave me a refund to the date she moved in.
    When she passed away (in the January) I phoned to get a new licence and they told me I didn't have to get one until the old one expired on her birthday (in the October).
    I told them the house was empty and I never got anything in the way of threatening letter from them at all.
    K