1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Why oh why does my mum think that everything on television is a repeat, she thinks that she has seen every programe before, even a live grand final! Nothing we say can convince her that what she is watching is a brand new programme.

2. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    And my dad thinks everything is new even the news repeats , asking us what they are saying , the government ..:confused:

3. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    Very frustrating, I know. It seems to be one of the tricks that a damaged brain can play. Her brain tells her that she's experiencing a remembered event (watching it in the past) when actually it is just taking a split second for her to process what she is seeing. Most deja vu is caused by our brains catching up and getting everything we are experiencing in sinc. It seems to happen more to some people with dementia, but I couldn't tell you why.

I think you just have to find some phrases you can use that will stop you from getting frustrated. Just go with the flow. "Oh have you?" "It's nice to see it again" "I hope I will enjoy it too" "It's probably got Wotsisname in it, he seems to be in everything"..... basically you are wittering pleasantly and ignoring the implication that it is boring to watch a repeat. :rolleyes: