1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

TV advice

Discussion in 'Equipment and technology' started by Sophb123, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Sophb123

Sophb123 New member

Dec 2, 2017
    Looking for a recommendation, my mother has mild cognitive impairment and lives alone. She is quite capable of most day to day activities but really struggles with changing tv channels. Unfortunately I live 100 miles away so cannot always help.
    Is there something in existence they would enable me to control her tv remotely? If not can someone design it quickly.

2. Andrew_McP

Andrew_McP Registered User

Mar 2, 2016
  3. Duggies-girl

Duggies-girl Registered User

Sep 6, 2017
    My dad thinks I am ever so clever because I can bring up the TV channel guide and see what is on during the evening and I can even access the TV Hub and we can look at last weeks TV

I have shown him how to do it a hundred times but he cannot do it so now I don't show him any more. He is not going to learn how to do it however many times I show him.

He can only access different channels by pressing the number button, if he does not know the number then he cannot watch that channel. This is so sad and I admit that it used to annoy me but now I just accept it and we watch the same things over and over again.

Same with his laptop. A year ago he could answer emails but now he can't switch the blooming thing on. His mobile phone is a mystery to him and yet he talks about getting one of those new phones like I have.

He even talked about getting Sky TV as then we will have more choice. No No then we will have more remotes and more confusion and I can't cope with it.

We will just continue to watch repeats on Yesterday instead. I think that channel was designed for PWD.

4. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    This must be so frustrating. Is there a simpler remote that would help? Perhaps one that just goes up and down the channels? If you returned the TV it's possible to remove any channels you don't need - children's, shopping, adult and any radio you don't need. It makes it a bit easier if there are fewer.