Turning to alcohol .to help block the scaryness of mams alzhiemers.

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
As others have alluded to, it's really not about willpower or all in your head. For some people a drink isn't just a drink. We don't fully understand why that is yet, but I do know there are plenty of studies and research going on to help us learn more.

For women especially drinking problems can be SUPER shameful. "It ain't lady-like" you know? More woman drink in hiding than men. They tend to binge drink and hide-drink. This again is potentially because of the level of shame a woman might feel in falling under the spell of booze. You know, we are meant to handle everything, take care of all the family stuff and possibly also hold a full time job.

Sure, hey-if you can handle just one or two-great! But if you find that one leads to the next and the next-well...is more research really needed? How many times have you heard of someone stopping drinking and then someone talks them into "Oh c'mon-it's just a wee tipple, surely this isn't going to hurt you!" and down they fall down that slippery old slope.

Again though-I really want to point out that some can and do drink without any problem. And some...just can't. Why? Well...is why really the most important point? The point is that we all know someone, or someone who knows someone-who has lost their health, job, family, life because for whatever reason-booze and them didn't mix.

xx

Louisek100

Sep 27, 2012
I don't really know what to say. what I do know is that every time things get hard or odd with mam I drink. I drink cos im scared. I drink cos things go wrong with mam. and what I really like is to drink enough to pass out and not worry about mam. all of this is totally bonkers as I know I have to be there at the end of the phone and I am.. and yes, I am stuck into a bottle of wine, feeling helpless, got my mobile phone down my bra in case mam needs me. . thank you talking point for letting me vent my emotionsx

HI Spuddle

Please try and get help - Doctor\Counsellor or a very good friend? I know how you feel as I have a husband who is now in a Dementia nursing home - Early Onset ,and very poorly BUT as well as this my sister was in the same dementia nursing home last year, she had been in hospital for 3 months with Wernickes encephalopathy and Korsakoffs dementia all brought on by alcohol - you don't necessarily have to have been a heavy drinker for years, it can happen by binge drinking.
I would hate to think this happened to you, it was awful and heart breaking to see and she was in a very miserable state and it was very upsetting and difficult to deal with two members of my family with dementia issues.
Take care of yourself.....Sending you a hugx

I'm not preaching because I love a drink but please enjoy the odd one but try and find an alternative

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
oh my goodness me.. thanks again. i was kinda of expecting a stream of words telling me to pull myself together and deal with it. i guess that the fact that i put it out here shows that i know its not the way to deal with this, and all of your thoughts are very much appreciated

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
hi spuddle
it's due to alcohol that i am now a full time carer to my dad, stuck at home at the age of 25! My mum was a secret alcoholic, started when her mum died and dad got his Alzheimer's diagnosis she turned to drink which led to her drinking herself to death 3 years ago leaving dad's care to me. Please don't let it get to that stage. Don't get me wrong, i like a cheeky drink when i can get out, but i am very aware to how much i am drinking. Alcohol can relax you in ways that nothing else can, but its when you start getting dependant for it to relax is when you have a problem. Caring is stressful, i know! I don't think i've had a proper nights sleep for years! The way i like to deal with stress is to log on to here and read everyone else's problems, i find it very comforting to know there's people that are going through the same as me! Or if you're really feeling down turn into some jeremy kyle and be grateful that you're not on there!
xxxx