Turmeric

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
i have been recommended ‘Natures Best’ Turmeric as a supplement to doneprizl for my OH with ALZ. Anyone experience or use of it as I am wary of non prescription remedies?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I use Turmeric for my arthritis, as a supplement and in cooking. I haven`t heard of it to help dementia.

I would consult your GP just to ensure it will have no detrimental effect on the benefit of doneprizl

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-662/turmeric

How does it work?
Turmeric contains the chemical curcumin. Curcumin and other chemicals in turmeric might decrease swelling (inflammation). Because of this, turmeric might be beneficial for treating conditions that involve inflammation.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have used turmeric for years in food along with walnuts, blueberries, ground coffee and every other food item which gets publicity as an aid. I don't believe any if it except insofar as a good diet is beneficial in general. Every darned thing they say is a way of avoiding dementia like staying slim and active, learning languages, reading, etc could describe my husband but he still has Alzheimer's.

Live a good life, look after your health but there is no magic bullet.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There was a craze for using turmeric as a way of preventing/improving dementia a few years back, but it seems to have died out recently (presumably because it doesnt work)

Baggybreeks

Mar 22, 2017
Scotland
There was a craze for using turmeric as a way of preventing/improving dementia a few years back,
I tried this last autumn with my husband who now is classified as having severe mixed dementia. The doctor thought it would be ok with his other drugs.
I gave it to him for two months, and was difficult to use, a liquid spray directly into the mouth . I doubt it did anything, he’s going away. Perhaps a smile occasionally not much else.
I wonder how much dementia there is in countries where turmeric is used in cooking all the time, it would be interesting to find out.
Does anyone know?
Too late for us.

Baggybreeks

Mar 22, 2017
Scotland
I just looked up Izzy’s link above. I think that answers my question.
Good to follow the rest to Drug Discovery .
Maybe hope for others in the future .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder how much dementia there is in countries where turmeric is used in cooking all the time, it would be interesting to find out

My husband was Indian and took Turmeric all his life before anything was known about its` properties. I suppose there is always the exception to the rule but really dementia still seems a puzzle and barely related to lifestyle.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
There is no proof that this helps. It's being plugged as a help for all sorts of medical problems.

Baggybreeks

Mar 22, 2017
Scotland
This is what we have. While research is ongoing all over the world there is hope.

Hope for others , I took part in a DNA test at Glasgow Memory Clinic, looking for a marker on gene APOE on people between 65 and 75 without memory problems.
There are lifestyles which can effect chances of getting Alzheimer ‘s, an interesting experience knowing my result will help research.
Also I wanted to know what my chances are, if I can do something to prevent it happening to me. I can prepare myself if necessary. Lifestyle changes.
I would encourage volunteers to help this research , they are still needing more.
You don’t have to get your results if you feel you don’t want to know, I did find it reassuring.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In a programme I Listened to last night on the world Service on BBC it was said that South Korea has the highest incidence of Alzheimer’s. We need to know why that is to find some common factor.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And why do nuns have a lower incidence of Alzheimer's ?

It would be interesting to know the incidence of dementia among all cloistered religious communities, people who aren`t in paid employment or who don`t have family responsibilities.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It would be interesting to know the incidence of dementia among all cloistered religious communities, people who aren`t in paid employment or who don`t have family responsibilities.
And who mostly live to strict routines and who are in many ways cared for by their communities. No mortgages, bills, few decisions to make.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
And you all and as expected it seems a fad based on jungle drums rather than proven fact. It is amazing how many ‘miracle’ cures which usually find themselves in lurid newspaper headlines that raise false hope.

try again

Jun 21, 2018

Hope for others , I took part in a DNA test at Glasgow Memory Clinic, looking for a marker on gene APOE on people between 65 and 75 without memory problems.
There are lifestyles which can effect chances of getting Alzheimer ‘s, an interesting experience knowing my result will help research.
Also I wanted to know what my chances are, if I can do something to prevent it happening to me. I can prepare myself if necessary. Lifestyle changes.
I would encourage volunteers to help this research , they are still needing more.
You don’t have to get your results if you feel you don’t want to know, I did find it reassuring.
I'm on this. Scored ap3/4 so have had medical and MRI scan so far. Booked in for petscan on Monday

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
I believe too much stress & not enough down time for the brain (sleep) might have a lot to do with this illness. My husband worked shift work and there were days/nights when he went to work with little or no sleep. He worked for mostly auto companies where he was a supervisor and they had to produce results.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
I believe too much stress & not enough down time for the brain (sleep) might have a lot to do with this illness. My husband worked shift work and there were days/nights when he went to work with little or no sleep. He worked for mostly auto companies where he was a supervisor and they had to produce results.
Interesting my husband also worked shifts, didn't get much sleep and has early onset dementia. I have just finished a book on sleep which spoke about the different stages of sleep and the risks of lack of sleep