Trying to understand

whyis

Jul 13, 2019
Our lovely neighbour of 17 years has dementia, 2 large kidney stones in each kidney and thyroid trouble, she is 85, and last week had to go into hospital as she hadn't been eating or drinking properly and when weighed it read 6 stone bless her. They kept her in hospital for a few days and then said she was strong enough to come home, went round when her son had settled her back in as we had been missing her so much, if only a magic wand really existed.
Her son organised carers to come in 3 times a day which they did, and it appeared a in/out thing know they are on limited time but feel whilst there should have just made sure she had a little bit of something to eat/drink. We did see her over the fence Thursday afternoon whilst the carer was there and she seemed fine, this was the last of the 3 visits from the carers, be much better if they could come a little later but understand they can't be everywhere.
Last night the lights were on for longer and it was this morning we found that her son had stayed over because he was worried, naturally about his mum. Mid morning my husband saw a ESM Ambulance pull up outside our neighbour's cottage, her son had called them because our poorly neighbour was dehydrated, did not want to get up, not surprising, they were there for absolutely ages, guess they were doing obs etc, son told us his mum was between 2-3 litres short bless her of fluids. Eventually sometime later our lovely neighbour who has never looked her age was taken into A&E again to have more fluids so that God willing will feel more like herself, I don't know, we are both very anxious like he and his wife are.
Apparently they refuse to shatter the 2 large stones in the kidneys and guess it is because of our dearest neighbour being so fragile and so weak, also if they let her out have been told that her G.P said our neighbour will need someone with her all the time, I know we would love to stop and keep a watch etc., rather than let her go in a nursing home, and this home nobody seems to come out alive they send elderly there who are going to die soon, like no hope left.
Are we being too blind folded? We have both lost our mums to lung cancer and my husband's dad had a heart attack. Is our sweet long time dear neighbour going to leave us too?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @whyis. Sorry to read of your neighbour's illnesses and your own family's heartbreak. You will find support and advice here, though I can't really advise on nursing homes myself.