Trying to support a parent with A.D.

Dar Griff

Dec 5, 2006
Caerphilly
I've been trying to juggle my job, my family, & caring/supporting my parents(my dad-63- has A.D.).

3 weeks ago it became too much & I have been off work in that time.

I don't know how to start re-juggling any of it anymore.

Is there any finance available to me so I can reduce my hours? Is there any advice/support anyone can offer?

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
I'm sure there will be others who know better about finances and benefits than i do, so i'll leave that to them.

Just wondered though if you've checked out with work whether there is anything they can do to help? After juggling for quite a while with my dad I discovered that we (nhs employees) have a child and care co-ordinator who can help with info and benefits and stuff. Depending on where you work you might be lucky enough to be able to negotiate with working hours, carers leave or at least get information about carers allowances. ............... then again ........... ?

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Dar Griff,
Looking back at some of your previous posts, I note that dad does not like outside help - but I do think you need to look at what support might be available from Social Services. You and your mum have to be considered here too.

Can you afford to reduce your hours at all? I think any allowances that may be available would be small - I am sure other carers will be able to tell you more about this.

You must take care of your own health. Other people need you, as well as your parents, and if you are ill you will not be able to help any of them. If you have to step back from your parents a bit, so be it. I know this sounds hard, but sometimes it has to be done.

Love Helen

Dar Griff

Dec 5, 2006
Caerphilly
Thanks.

Parents are having a visit from a health visitor tomorrow(Tuesday 9th). I've told my mam I'm going to be there & she seems quite pleased about that.

I've also got to go into work Tuesday, so the child care, reduced hours, etc. I'll certainly take it with me.

Fingers', toes' & other bits crossed :eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968