Trying to stop my dad from rubbing his face off

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hello all I have a problem with my dad.. Over the last few months my dad has developed an habit of rubbing his face aggressively with his handkerchief he will start by rubbing his nose and then works his way around all his face he then does his body and once he has reached his feet he starts over again.. This goes on for most of the day every day he is making his eyes and forehead very sore I try to tell him how sore he looks but to no avail he just says my face is not dry.. Does anyone have any suggestions has to how I can distract him xx

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Have you asked him if his body is itchy? Has he changed his soap, washing powder etc? He may be itchy but not know the word for it. It may also be just a habit as you give the impression it is. Have you tried giving him some basic cream such as simple or baby moisturising cream rather than just rub skin against skin.

Have you asked his GP to check him out as sometimes he could feel that something is crawling under the skin although of course it isn't but maybe there's a medical reason for this, medication he is taking or something.

Distractions I would suggest maybe music to sing along with especially if there are actions to do too, like the biddy song type of thing. A jigsaw maybe good or even a large print dot to dot if he can manage it. Sometimes even just sorting out socks into colours or buttons may help.

Hope you get some answers or a break you want for him poor chap.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Have you asked him if his body is itchy? Has he changed his soap, washing powder etc? He may be itchy but not know the word for it. It may also be just a habit as you give the impression it is. Have you tried giving him some basic cream such as simple or baby moisturising cream rather than just rub skin against skin.

Have you asked his GP to check him out as sometimes he could feel that something is crawling under the skin although of course it isn't but maybe there's a medical reason for this, medication he is taking or something.

Distractions I would suggest maybe music to sing along with especially if there are actions to do too, like the biddy song type of thing. A jigsaw maybe good or even a large print dot to dot if he can manage it. Sometimes even just sorting out socks into colours or buttons may help.

Hope you get some answers or a break you want for him poor chap.

Thanks so much mrsbusy.. You have just kicked my brain into gear.. He is fidgeting isn't he? as I have asked if he is itching ect but he just says his face is not dry... I. Am going to make a fidget blanket.. When I get time.. He can't really do much else has his eyesight is so bad... Thanks again xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My guess is that he has a skin itch. I use only Simple soap and shampoo for my husband as well as E45 Skin Itch Relief cream. I also bulk buy on the internet Avon Skin so Soft moisturising spray which I use at night before he puts on his pyjamas. The latter is what seems to work best.

If I don't keep on top of this he scratches his skin until it bleeds. He also takes an anti histamine every night but to be honest this is the least useful.

I would start with the E45 on his face twice a day or more if he needs it.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Exhausted - for a different slant on the problem, could your dad be suffering from anxiety?

Saying that his face is not dry reminds me of myself a few years ago when I was suffering very badly from anxiety. The back of my neck felt wet and cold, and this feeling would creep up over my scalp and also down my shoulders and arms. I was constantly rubbing the back of my neck, trying to rid myself of the horrible feeling.

Eventually I went to the doctors, was diagnosed with acute anxiety, and was given a short course of beta blockers (propranalol in this case). They completely eradicted these physical symptoms.

Just thought I'd mention my experience because for me it wasn't a skin problem as such, it was the anxiety manifesting in a physical way.