Trying to get info from local Social Services

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
My mother is in hospital in South London, and after assessment, I've been told it would dangerous for her to be allowed to return home and that I need to find a residential care placement for her in my own area (I'm 80 miles north). Her local social services have very quickly provided lists of homes in their area (kind, but not helpful). My own local services can only tell me to contact CSCI - is this right? Having tried carehomes.co.uk, csci.org.uk and bettercare.co.uk, each site gives me a different listing of homes in the area. Given I'm in fulltime work and its almost impossible to make calls from here, how do I get a listing of contacts for suitable homes (residential care without nursing, catering for dementia) so I can attempt to contact them as best I can?

Any thoughts would be very welcome - this is stressful enough time without running into what appears to be a less than helpful SS dept.

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Dave

One idea would be to contact your Local Alzheimers Society, they should be able to help and may be able to give an opinion on how well run homes are.

Geraldine

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Theory vs practice

My Mum's local branch have been wonderfully helpful. Unfortunately, mine have yet to respond to a phone message and an email both left a week ago. CSCI responded to an email this morning within 10 mins and are going to post info to me.

When (if?) all the dust finally settles, I'm definitely going to try turning my hands, mind and any energy I have left to fundraising so that there can be a possibility of single agency to guide all us poor carers through the minefield that life presents us with.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Quote Dave W
When (if?) all the dust finally settles, I'm definitely going to try turning my hands, mind and any energy I have left to fundraising so that there can be a possibility of single agency to guide all us poor carers through the minefield that life presents us with.

Well said Dave we need all the help and campaigning that we can find.
Norman