Trying to get help!

Dexter5

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, can anyone help. My Dad is trying to get the medication for my Mum who has medication for her Alzheimer's disease moderate to servere, and also his. He is also trying to buy essentials. I normally pop in his prescription notes at the doctors by hand, but doctors are closed. They wish you now to order medication online. My Dad did try this on his phone and struggled (I think he locked himself out of his passwords) as he has no broadband, no computer and relies on a neighbours wifi connection. I rang up their doctors and explained and she ordered saying the medication will be there for them both, and to fill in a form so that they can be exempt from this procedure. The chemist didn't know what my Dad was on about when he went to collect medication, he is making another trip in today. Is there an easier way of getting medication. One of my mum's meds is from the hospital.
Is there a service set up for them to get their groceries. I can get some bits for them, but neither of us stockpiled and the shops aren't fully stocked yet.
I'm also worried about them as they are on their own. The community mental health nurse was going to see them but cancelled due to illness. Nothing is set up as my mum was only diagnosed a few weeks ago. I'm trying to keep them going but they are both in there late 70s and mum makes a lot of accusations. One of which is my Dad is having multiple relationships with other women. I am usually always there but at the moment I am having to keep away as I am working in a school, my husband is also a key worker and my older children have moved back in as jobs/uni have come to a close. We don't know what we are carrying at the moment.
Any suggestions so I can make a start on theit support?
Many thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Dexter5

Do you have a good local pharmacy which offers delivery of medication.

I phone my pharmacy, they contact the GP`s surgery and my medication is delieverd a couple of days later. This has been a regular arrangement since I was a housebound carer for my husband and has continued since his death.

All the pharmacies in my area offer this service and it might help if you contact your local pharmacies for advice.

I don`t know about the one item coming directly from the hospital but perhaps the pharmacies can help you out here.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Dexter5

Our local pharmacies also do deliveries as @Grannie G says so hopefully that’s one problem solved. It might be worth asking, when you phone the pharmacy, if they know of anyone who is helping the vulnerable self isolators with shopping.

I sorry to read of your mum’s accusations not easy for your dad to deal with and very distressing I’m sure. If it’s any consolation it does tend to be a phase which eventually passes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too @Dexter5.

Is there a service set up for them to get their groceries. I can get some bits for them, but neither of us stockpiled and the shops aren't fully stocked yet.

I know it’s not easy to get slots but Supermarket online delivery services can be ordered by one person and delivered to another. I’ve managed to arranged a fruit and veg box delivery and a butcher’s deliver from local shops. I did it by phone as I can’t go to the shops as self isolating.

It must be so hard for your dad and hard for you too,

Dexter5

Mar 25, 2020
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Dexter5

Our local pharmacies also do deliveries as @Grannie G says so hopefully that’s one problem solved. It might be worth asking, when you phone the pharmacy, if they know of anyone who is helping the vulnerable self isolators with shopping.

I sorry to read of your mum’s accusations not easy for your dad to deal with and very distressing I’m sure. If it’s any consolation it does tend to be a phase which eventually passes.
Many thanks. Will ask. Sadly my mum's accusations have been going on for more than 10 years. After many arguments with my parents and doctors about my mum's condition, we got referred to the Hospital 2 years ago. I had to question each of my relatives to see if mums accusations were true. Of course they weren't. She has said some very unkind things too. She's accused people of stealing too. Family are understanding but weren't at the time. She has seen angels in her bedroom and her behaviour has been very psychotic. She does wander too, which is a worry. In the end I was listened to by the consultant who sent Mum for a brain scan at Christmas. We found out the front part of her brain has been significantly damaged along with her both sides (one side more than the other). I' m devastated. So this as well as covid19 has hit us like a ton of bricks. I'm thankful I've found this support! Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry this has all come together at the same time @Dexter5 . Unfortunately, made up stories (confabulations) and accusations of stealing are almost unanimous with dementia. Im glad the family are now understanding