trying to get Ebixa privately but cannot find a Doctor to prescribe it

jivegirl42

May 15, 2007
london
My mother has Alzheimer's and her hospital consultant would happily give her Ebixa but is unable to on the NHS, and does not work privately(nor knows anyone who does). I am trying to find a Doctor based in London or Essex that will prescibe it. I have tried the local private hospitals with no luck. I have just joined this forum and noticed that other people are getting the drug so i would love to hear how you got it. Also any positive and negative effects of the drug and advice regarding pharmacy charges. many thanks

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
My Dad was diagnosed with mixed dementia, shortly after (not-so-)NICE changed their guidelines. Because of an existing heart condition my Dad was deemed unsuitable for Aricept and so was prescribed Ebixa. He saw his consultant privately (long story) but receives the drugs on the NHS. We were blissfully ignorant of our good fortune until I came on TP and realised that Ebixa is not so readily available for all. It appears to be part of the post code lottery. :mad:

Sorry I know that's not much help.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you particularly want Ebixa for your Mum? Is it because Aricept is unsuitable or because she is middle/later stages?

Sue

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Hi Jivegirl,

My husband is on Ebixa (5mg) and we are based in South London. Is prescribed by his NHS consultant. He has FTD and is also on Aricept. He has only been taking Ebixa for 6 weeks but it does seem to have made a difference to his extreme restlessness. Unfortunately he now would seem to have either got used to it or outgrown it and need a higher dose as all his agitation has returned. His day centre have commented on it as well. Seeing our consultant tomorrow for a review so will see what he says. I knew that getting Aricept was difficult but had no idea that other drugs were also difficult to get prescribed. Good luck with your search.

Westie

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother got Exbiza in Gibraltar , so when we arrived back in to England my doctor just keep giving to her on the NHS , before the new ruling came out .

my mother was in the late stages , when she was diagnose with AZ , so had not tried any other medication for AZ .

Also any positive and negative effects of the drug ,

I did see a positive effects for my mother in the first 5 years of taking it , now its slowing down in working , so taking her back slowly into how she was 5 years ago , so to me thats the only negative effect, its not a cure and should be given early , not in the late stages , but that just my point of view .

Has your mother tried any other medication for AZ , before Exbiza ?

what stage is she in if you don't mind me asking

jivegirl42

May 15, 2007
london
thank you to all who have replied and your useful suggestions. i will follow them up. just to clarify, mum is on reminyl and the exiba is wanted in addition as research suggests that it works well together (this i know is not availiable on the NHS). She has advanced dementia.
Many thanks

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
jivegirl42 said:
, mum is on reminyl and the exiba is wanted in addition as research suggests that it works well together (this i know is not availiable on the NHS).

Hi Jivegirl

My husband is in reminyl and ebixa, both NHS. He has been on reminyl for 7+ years, and ebixa for about 18 months (both before the NICE guidelines).

He has done very well on reminyl, but I'm not convinced that ebixa has helped greatly. But you can't tell, he might have been so much worse without it.

Hope you manage to get it for your mum, anything is worth trying.