Trying to accept why at 25 I have to deal with my dad having early onset alzheimers

Naomi25

Mar 5, 2018
Hello

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling. You are not a terrible person. Please don't be too hard on yourself.

I was in my teens when my mum got dementia at 47. She died this January aged 57 and I am 27.

There was times when I was with my mum where I felt similar. At times I felt she 'ruined' some of our family days out and I used to feel angry about it inside. I would go and hug and kiss her and I remember she once pinched me or screamed if I showed any affection. I was so hurt and cross. Then one day I looked her in the eyes and she was empty.

I have always felt for me that the process of dealing with someone with dementia is a very long greifing process. Mixes emotions. Good days. Bad day. Good moods. Bad moods.

Please feel free to message me if you want to talk or have a moan. I have been through your current journey. In the mean time, be good to yourself and your needs too. Will be thinking of you xx

I’m so sorry you had to go through that and deal with your mum having this awful illness at such a young age. I completely agree that it is a constant grieving process. Some days it’s all I can think about and others I feel like I can accept it and that it already feels like I’ve lost my dad as he just isn’t the person he was.

Thanks so much for responding, I hope your finding things ok since your mum passed (well as ok as can be) it must have been so hard.

Thank you, sending you my thoughts too xx

KeddyL

Jun 8, 2014
I’m so sorry you had to go through that and deal with your mum having this awful illness at such a young age. I completely agree that it is a constant grieving process. Some days it’s all I can think about and others I feel like I can accept it and that it already feels like I’ve lost my dad as he just isn’t the person he was.

Thanks so much for responding, I hope your finding things ok since your mum passed (well as ok as can be) it must have been so hard.

Thank you, sending you my thoughts too xx
Absolutely. Unfortuntely all we can do is ride with the good and the bad times. Mines a different type of mixed emotions now. I'm glad shes a peace but miss her so so much. I never regret or feel bad for the way I felt sometimes though. Think we can be too hard on ourselves. We are only human.

I'm doing 'ok' thank you. I went on to have my first baby 3weeks after my mum passed so she is keeping me busy and keeping me focused on the bigger picture. Take care xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba