Trouble with leaving back door wide open when going in to town

AngelJuoles

Jul 24, 2013
My mum was diagnosed with dementia a few years back. She has always been a very independent woman so on a lot of issues we struggle trying to get her to take on board that what we are doing is to help her. A few times either me or one of my brothers has been down there *we all have our own front door key* and my mum has been out, where she has been is a mystery until she returns. Many times it turns out she has been in to town which is a good 20 minute bus ride away. The problem we are now having is she is going off out and leaving her back door wide open for her cats!! I don't honestly know if it even occurs to her any more that it is open.
I have been looking on Google images for something I could print out to put near her front door to make her turn around and lock her back door before she leaves the house, I am struggling to find something. I thought I could go into Photoshop and make a poster of my own except I really am lost on what to put on there. Any advice please?

Thank you in advance

Julie

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Could mum have a cat flap in her back door for the cats? She wouldn't need to leave it open at all. I have no clever ideas for poster :confused:

AngelJuoles

Jul 24, 2013
I have discussed a cat flap with her many times but she agrees to one that will let them in but not out and then she says no. Very big change for her I think. But yes Its still in the possibility bucket :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app

AngelJuoles

Jul 24, 2013
We have discussed getting a cat flap in her back door, one day she is okay about the idea but doesn't want them to be able to go out through it only in, which would mean she would still open the door to let them out

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
It might be worth trying a cat flap anyway. Your mum might be better at dealing with it when it's actually in place than talking about it as an idea. The costs involved aren't massive and who knows.

There might come a time, though, of your mum simply being unable to cope with all the bits and bobs that make up independent living. Locking doors is an important issue and if cat flaps and prompts don't make much difference then you'll have to do a 'risk assessment' and weigh up the pros and cons of her independence.

Might she like a carer to spend a few hours with her every day? A new 'friend'? Someone to pop out with and check that the door is locked and the house is safe.

It's very much a question of take my advice as I'm not using it. My mum's increasingly risky behaviours and her refusal to engage with carers meant residential care.

But anything's worth a try!