Tropical island without sea, Sand and palm trees.

Barnsey

Jul 2, 2013
Cheshire
The temperature in our house is like a tropical island. The heating is Set on a thermostat. The minute it goes off my mil turns it up. We have a temp card that shows temp and says cold, warm etc. But she says she is cold. I show her the card but to no avail. We have bought blankets, suggested cardigans but refuses to use them. Short of walking round with next to nothing on am desperate for some ideas!

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I struggled with this.
Maybe one really warm room and the rest of the house cooler?
Or stand by the open back door to cool down , I used to.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum is the same, if the radiator is not hot she turns up the thermostat on it. I have got around this to some extent by turning down the system thermostat which is in the hall. She also refuses to wear a cardigan or use a blanket on her legs.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Mom's house was very much the same, even at night. I used to wear shorts and Tshirt all year round.

The thermostat was fixed by the front door. I left that there but disconnected it and got a remote one fitted to the boiler.

Mom could still think she was using the fixed one and the passing Police helicopter would stop suspecting the growing of cannabis in the loft. :)

Barnsey

Jul 2, 2013
Cheshire
Mom's house was very much the same, even at night. I used to wear shorts and Tshirt all year round.

The thermostat was fixed by the front door. I left that there but disconnected it and got a remote one fitted to the boiler.

Mom could still think she was using the fixed one and the passing Police helicopter would stop suspecting the growing of cannabis in the loft. :)

Thank you,that's a really good idea with the thermostat. Will def look into. And never thought of the police, I'd better drill some holes so the heat can escape. ;)

Barnsey

Jul 2, 2013
Cheshire

l

Last edited:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Yeah, done this one, too. It is rare, now, for the dial to be wrapped up against the stop, (30C!) It used to be like that for most of the year, during the first two or three years, but I was gradually able to nudge the central heating down to a more reasonable 21C. It takes time and a bit of stealth, but inevitably, for a while, maybe up to even a couple of years, it's a case of grin and bear it, I'm afraid.

The worst bit was when hubby used to go and play with all the settings in the cupboard. Keep an eye on those.

Rosie56

Oct 5, 2013
You have my sincere sympathy! We have the opposite problem: Mum won't have the heating on, and staggers round an icy house swaddled in layers of clothing. She can't understand that the temperature will regulate itself, so as soon as a radiator seems to be getting hot, she turns it off. She fiddles with the boiler controls so often that the boiler keeps breaking down. It also runs all through the night, making a hell of a noise, because she goes ballistic if you set timers - when I'm with her I can't sleep for the racket since my room is directly over the boiler. Unfortunately she's found a dial that cuts off water to the rads and only sends it to the taps. I've tried everything, including taping the dial into the correct position, but nothing works for long.

Roll on summer...

Acorn

Nov 28, 2012
Heated seat, it's like an electric blanket you put on a chair then sit on (imagine a heated car seat) they're fairly widely available, this is one

Other (more reasonably priced) will be around, this one quotes 0.5p per hour to run, bonus is it tends to stop wandering.

K

We also have one of these heaters, although quite old. I find that, even on the lowest setting, she starts to caramelise if I forget to turn it off at the wall!

More seriously, I think my wife does quite genuinely feel the cold much more these days. She is no longer sufficiently mobile to deal with switches and controls, and will use a blanket over her knees and wear a jersey. But quite consistently, she’s comfortable at 25°C and complains of feeling cold at 23°C. I don’t think that the 21°C target is realistic for many older people, in spite of the official recommendations.

DawnB52

Jul 27, 2014
Lytham St.Annes
:)

Pingu

Sep 6, 2013
Same problem in my parents' house. Dad is 80, has Alzheimers and feels cold if it's less than about 24 degrees. Mum is his carer and feels hot if it's over 21.

A partial solution:-
a) a heater behind Dad's sofa (in the gap between the sofa and the wall - be careful, make sure it's safe, i.e., an oil heater or wall radiator or something) so the sofa is always warm, and
b) a foot-heater under the sofa that he drags out and can warm his feet on through his socks or slippers (this has a comforting psychological effect; if the feet feel warm then he's unlikely to think he's cold, he's also directly warming his blood where it's coldest).