Trips to the Vaccine Centre

Ramblingrose

Feb 2, 2020
Has anyone actually physically and mentally struggled taking the person with dementia to the large centres? I had to take my elderly parents the other day for their second shot and it was nightmare. I told the person giving the shot the situation and yet she still kept asking my mother questions which she couldn't answer. For example have you had any covid symptoms recently. After a year she still has no concept of the situation. Anyway after having the jab by the time she had her coat on she had no recollection of having it. I wish they could have had it done at home but honestly their doctor is of no help and hasn't been since the diagnosis over 7 years ago.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I volunteer at a vaccine centre. Its hard I know, but we do try so hard to accomodate everyone.
We vaccinate 8 people every 10 mins in 12 hour clinics - at home takes so much longer

Its such a fine line- They sometimes cant do right for doing wrong. Ask the patient or the carer? Which ever you do it wont be right for some.

Can I say Sorry, on behalf of all those Volunteering to roll the program out- that it didnt go right for you. That wouldnt have been their intention I can assure you.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I struggled.

when I hear about older people having the jab and then having complications I am the one person that thinks ‘ just a few of you’? When I looked at the people getting their second jabs with mum most of them didn’t look like they could make it to the end of the week with or without a jab.

The statistics alone must indicate that some of them would suffer a serious downturn in their health, jab or no jab.

Someone driving round to houses can do 11 jabs a day. The chap who did mine at a centre said he was doing 200 a day, though it wasn’t clear if it was two of them achieving that or him alone.

As I said I struggled to take mum, but given the figures I suppose I feel it is my duty to society to try my best, and leave the home visits to the people who 100 per cent need them.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was told home jabs were 14 a day. But I must add they didn’t hang around and there were two of them.

Ramblingrose

Feb 2, 2020
I volunteer at a vaccine centre. Its hard I know, but we do try so hard to accomodate everyone.
We vaccinate 8 people every 10 mins in 12 hour clinics - at home takes so much longer

Its such a fine line- They sometimes cant do right for doing wrong. Ask the patient or the carer? Which ever you do it wont be right for some.

Can I say Sorry, on behalf of all those Volunteering to roll the program out- that it didnt go right for you. That wouldnt have been their intention I can assure you.
Thanks for the reply. I understand how hard it must be for all at the centres. It was just that I had tried to explain mum had dementia and wouldn't be able to answer the questions. She kept asking mum which made her even more confused instead of just asking me. No real criticism as I have only praise for the people at our local centre.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Here in Australia, we envy how well the Brits are doing in getting so many people vaccinated so quickly.

We have no idea of when or where we will get our vaccinations. Even though the knives have been rattling in the drawer for months, our government seems to be incapable of getting things organized. We are all feeling very frustrated.

Well done everybody. I know it can be difficult to get people to clinics but it's such a good thing.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
We were very lucky where we are as my OH was done in our own doctors surgery where they all knew him, and it was very quick and efficient.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I had the opposite experience when I took my wife for her first shot. After explaining about my wife's dementia, after she started to get anxious and agitated because of the system, we were moved to the head of the queue and treated with great compassion. I was allowed to answer all the questions.

By the time we were heading home my wife was unaware that we had been to the centre.

We get our 2nd dose in 12 days time.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks for the reply. I understand how hard it must be for all at the centres. It was just that I had tried to explain mum had dementia and wouldn't be able to answer the questions. She kept asking mum which made her even more confused instead of just asking me. No real criticism as I have only praise for the people at our local centre.
My OH got very confused when she went for the first one. The nurse ended up making a best interests decision and gave her the vaccine anyway, something I was happy to agree to. She also suggested bringing POA documents to the second one in a fortnight or so from now.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Due to shortages of the Pfizer vaccine, appointments this week for 2nd have been postponed until next week in our area. Happened to my OH, a friend and another friend’s parents. No mention of this in the media especially after the government promised no delays to 2nd doses.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Bought my dad in January to a big nurses gym which had to be turned into a vaccine centre
What a nightmare
Dad was disoriented and picked on the volunteers
Didn’t understand why he was there at all
2 nd jab due in 2 days ive asked the carer to take him which is not like me i like going to official appointments but i think he might be better behaved with the carer
Im hoping to go on the bus with them and wait outside
I asked the gp if he could have it at home but said no they dont carry the pizer jab
Into homes and cannot mix n match astra zenaca jab with pizer ?