Trek the Inca trail in Peru

iain

Jul 6, 2004
Belfast
Hi,
I would be interested in hearing from anybody who has had experience in the above type of event.
My Mother and Sister are participating in the "Trek the Inca trail in Peru" between 17 - 26 May 2005.
I am co-ordinating the majority of the fund raising for this (Mum says she wishes she could do more but then I remind here how much effort is required to do the trek).
My Father was diagnosed with Dementia with Lewy Bodies in 1999 (a year before he was due to retire), and is currently in full-time nursing care. He provided us with so much in life, and his has been cut short (so to speak) - and I think that is one of the devastating things about this disease.
I would also be grateful if anyone would be able to donate prizes for a raffle (to be held at a the main fund raising event - a Gala Ball). Please contact me for further details.
The last Ball I was at had things like signed rugby/football shirts etc. If you know anyone who plays for a team OR could help in anyway, please get in touch.
ALL help would be great.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

Could you please post the whole of the aims and objectives of the Inca Trail Walk here.

I'm not really clear as to what you REALLY need, whether it's large scale promotion via travel wholesalers in just UK or international bookings, media coverage or smaller scale donations for prizes.

Look forward to hearing from you ahd hope to able to help out.

Jude

iain

Jul 6, 2004
Belfast
Nada, thanks for putting that link on your thread. My Mum will be 60 next Thursday. My sister is 26.

Mum has always been facinated by the whole Inca culture and it was always been her dream to visit Machu Picchu with my Dad after he retired. Unfortunatly this will not now take place, but she can fulfill part of her dream and help out a very worthy cause ! I am so proud of her doing this.

Jude, I am more interested in smaller scale help - donations, prizes, media coverage etc. I hit a dead end when I discovered that the local Alzheimers Society doesn't actually have a fund-raising team, so I am trying to find out as much as I can from other sources. I have contacted the events team at the head office, and hope to get more ideas soon.

Kind Regards

Iain

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

Have just looked at your info on your website thanks to Nada. Doesn't look to me like you need ANY help with getting this organised. It looks like a simply wonderful trip.

I've spent the best part of the last 30 years 'cruising' around the world and the Inca Trail has always been on my list of places yet to be visited. I 've spent 15 years travelling through India, the Middle East, and SE Asia, OZ and NZ until I got 'stuck' in Indonesia for a further 15 years and believe me, you can spend all of that time living in Bali, Java, Sumatra and the islands.

I'd love to do this trip with your group - only problem is that I really have some serious reservations about an 8-12 hour hike up a mountain in one day. I'm reasonably fit at 50 years of age, but I think I might be a complete liability! You do say that your mother is going too...? Anyway, if you think that I'm not too old, then I'd definitely like to be in it. Am also very happy to help with promotion if I can.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

I've been having a think about this and I hope that I may be able to help you with some media promotion to begin with.

A friend of mine is one of the editors of Rough Guides and she is coming to stay with me for a couple of days within the next fortnight. I am very happy to ask her if she can authorise some support on the Rough Guides Email Newsletters and they have a fairly extensive network. Her mother had dementia and sadly died last year and I think she would be a good person to enlist for support. She has been incredibly helpful to me, both with advice about my parents and of course with Flamboyant.

I will email her today and then if she agrees, then I will give you her personal email address so that you can discuss it directly.

Hope that helps for now. Will keep the thinking cap on.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

Have also written to the Surrey Advertiser and the other local Surrey papers and local mags today suggesting that they look at your info which was kindly supplied by Nada. I hope they will contact you direct.

I've also written to the Events Crew on this website suggesting that for the future, they may like to use my small hotel in Bali as a possible venue for a group.

In the meantime, I've sent off for one of your packages in the hope that I may be able to get fit enough to join this trek!! I'm not unfit, but the last serious treks I took were in Nepal 25 years' ago and I was a geat deal fitter then...

Best wishes Jude

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Iain,

I've just had a look at the website too and think it looks amazing. i would love to be involved somehow, although I would have to check whether my University schedule allowed me to participate in the walk.

I have worked part-time for HMV for around six years now, so I might be able to organise some form of prize from them if you would be interested.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

Just had an email from my friend at Rough Guides. She has passed the request to the top personnel and we hope to have some favourable feedback shortly.

Jude

iain

Jul 6, 2004
Belfast
Emma,
Thanks for your post.
I appreciate your offer, and would be grateful of any help in gaining raffle prizes. I am aware, however, that some large companies already have designated charities that they supply goods to each year; and unless you are organising an event for that particular charity they don't want to know ... but then, theres no harm in asking.
Good Luck in approaching your Uni tutors about time off. I think they should say yes to your request, as its not often that you get a chance to go on a trip like this !
Regards
Iain

iain

Jul 6, 2004
Belfast
Jude,
get your boots on and get into those hills !! I think you'll have no problems doing this trek !
Thanks for approaching your friend in the Rough Guide office.
I have been leaving no stone unturned in my attempts to gain publicity. Its time to call in a few favours !
Regards
Iain

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

All your literature has just arrived this morning. Will have a read and let you know if I think I'm up to it! By the way, have you heard from Rough Guides yet or the Surrey Ad. If not, I'll give them a nudge.

Best wishes, Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

Well, OK I'm in and will send you a deposit today.

I've spent a lot of time trying to dream up reasons why I shouldn't do this, but can't think of a single valid point. All I have to do now is lose 3 stone and give up smoking, as I said to Emma earlier this evening.

Once you get the cheque, please send the training information as soon as possible, cos I think it will take me a whole lot longer than 16 weeks to get fit to do this. I don't know why I feel so excited, when I should be beating myself over the head for being so silly.

I've worked out quite a few ideas for fund raising, which I hope will work. All I have to do now is the body work out.

I think I'm going to be seriously annoyed with you later on...!

Best wishes, Jude

iain

Jul 6, 2004
Belfast
Jude,
I am not organising anything to do with the Trek itself. I am just helping my Mum and Sister to raise the sponsorship. Please don't send the deposit to me !! (if you do though - I can forward it onto the Alzheimers Society). I suggest you call 0870 417 0192 or email peru@alzheimers.org.uk to find out who to send deposit to.
Sorry for any confusion on this matter.

... but well done on deciding to go for it, and good luck with stubbing out those cigarettes !

Iain

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Iain,

My apologies. I quite thought that you were one of the organisers of the tour. I'll send a cheque to the tour operators today. Better strike while the iron's hot before I chicken out!!

Good luck with your fund raising. I hope you raise swags of dosh for the Society. If you come up with any bright ideas, do please let me know. I'll also let you know how I'm getting along too.

I'm looking forward to this very much.

Best wishes, Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Bruce,

Why change the habit of a life time? It's bad enough that I have to give up smoking and lose a ton of weight. Gosh - do I really have to wear SHOES as well........

Jude xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Can't go on the trek but think it's a fantastic opportunity for you all!

Wondered if you knew about the justgiving.com website? You can set up a website which you let everyone know about and people can sponsor you through this site. My brother has just set one up for a Trek he's doing in Tanzania in Oct 05 - for Action Aid. It seemed that it was easy to set up and I know it was easy to make a donation through the site.

Sorry if you already know about it!

Good luck
Izzy

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Peru

I'm going to Peru see you there! I worked out that I need to raise £300 a mounth. so far I'm on target.
As for training. I started last year, I was very unfit, I also need to lose 3 stone. As I care for my husband full time it will be dificult but he goes in to respite regulaly, that is when I go walking. apart from that I spend a lot of time going up and down the stairs with my pack on and doing the cercuit training, because I can still see and hear what my husband is doing while I am training.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Anne,

I'm looking forward to meeting you there. You sound a whole lot more organised than I am at present. I can just imagine you marching up and down the stairs in full 'kit' - just wonderful! Well done.

I've only just begun my 'training' and fundraising. Still, it's slow but sure. The carers have just brought over a walking machine for me to use - now I have NO excuse that the weather is rotten.

Best wishes,

Jude