Trek Rajasthan 2006

Kat

Jan 24, 2005
London
I'm thinking of doing the Trek in Rajasthan but I obviously need to raise a minimum of £2,600 by December this year (2005). Do you think it is possible, does anyone have any advice?

I also work full time and I really want to do this trek but I am worried that I may not be able to raise the full amount. Does anyone have any success stories...?

I have thought of doing a few car boot sales, knocking on the neighbours doors for donation, friends, colleagues, targeting local shops etc... but will it be enough?

Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Many thanks

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Dear Kat

I am going to Peru in May, I have just reached my target £2,600.
I did car boots, lots of people will give things for sale rather than giving money. My best money spinner was a coffee morning, I got the church hall for nothing, and the insurance was covered by the Alzheimer’s society my M.P. came and I advertised on the radio, shops and gave out little slips of paper with the event on to everyone I met even if I hardly new them, and of coarse I asked lots of people to donate.

Anne

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Dear Kat

One other thing I did was to work out what I had to raise per month and if I was not ahead of that target I would have put the money in myself, this is extra motivation to fund raise, most of the time I have been ahead.

Anne

Kat

Jan 24, 2005
London
Hello

Hi Anne,

Did you get most of the money through donations then..? I'm thinking that if I go ahead with this I'll try to raise the minimum of £1,600 because that way people can also click the gift aid box. Apparently if you are raising the full amount you don't have that option. It's amazing how it can all grow with the gift aid option.
But the down side is that I have to put in the other £1,000 - unless I go over my budget of £1,600.

Because I work full time and currently busy looking to buy a house I'm worried that the fundraising may suffer.
Alternatively I could do the fundraising event next year and have a whole year to plan for it or I was thinking of going to Peru because that's not till May next year.

Mmm... really want to do it just worried about not making the full amount. I think a couple of boot sales is the way forward. How much would you say you made as an average from the boot sales? I'm hoping that people will donate generously because I'm worried that I may not have enough time to think of great fundraising ideas.

I have worked out how much I will need to make every month, that way you have a target - good idea.

Do you think I could raise the £2,600 in 6-7 months..?

So, at the church hall did you just supply tea for a small fee? I was thinking of doing that at a car boot sale too, just as a extra income.

Do you think that if I approached big companies - such as Barclays Bank, (who I & my mum bank with) that they would donate some cash? I'm worried that they will only donate something if I advertise them.

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Dear Kat

I care for my husband full time, can’t leave him on his own, I was worried at the start about raising the money, Fred hates crowds so I can’t take him to events.
Most of the money came from small donations from people I hardly know, for the most part.
I started collecting last August just 7 months ago.
It’s easy to get over £100 at a car boot, we only have access to a very small car and most of the stuff went for 50p or a pound.
At the coffee morning I charged 50p for coffee or tea and had a tin of biscuits for people to help themselves, Tombola raffle and craft stalls, one made £133 another £233.

Anne

Kat

Jan 24, 2005
London
Anne54

Your obviously a pro at this...

I forgot to ask. As I have never done this fundraising stuff before, I was thinking that I might go door to door in the area I live in to try and get some donations. How will people know that I am a good citizen and that I am actually doing this for the Alzheimer's Society? Do you get a badge or anything with your pack? Do they give you collection boxes or do you make these up yourself?

Just don't want to look like some fake person turning up on people's doors and asking for their money.
Maybe you can enlighten me in the whole process as you have done this before?

Also how does it work if friends in other countries donate some cash through my justgiving website. Does it automatically convert it to sterling?

If I don't do it this year I presume they do these events every year..?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Dear Kat

They give you some boxes for collecting but I would not think it would be legal to go door to door without a charity badge and you don’t get one of those. I did put notices of events through doors. I left the boxes out at events and got some money that way, a local shop might put one out for you.
I have not had anyone donate from abroad but it probably works fine if you have a look at the justgiving web site it might tell you.

Anne

Kat

Jan 24, 2005
London
Anne54

Hi Anne,

Are you sure it's illegal. I don't see why you can't go door to door in your own neighbourhood. Surely if you saw someone you know on the street and ask them to donate or you go to the house they live in and ask them to donate - then it's kind of the same thing.

Isn't it the same if you are outside a supermarket with a donation box asking people to donate..?

People have knocked on our door in the past asking to contribute for various things - people do it all the time - don't they?

Anyway, these people, will be people that know me and my mum, as we have been living in our area for over 25 years.

The charity should do shorter trips too, say 5 days, and that means you can raise slightly less - maybe just over £1,000. It would be nice to have a range of trips. I think most of the trips seem to be 10 day treks where you need to raise £2,600. Oh well, I will do one of these events one day.

Thanks

Kat

Jan 24, 2005
London
Thanks

Brilliant. Thank you for all the info, much appreciated.

I think I may be taking on too much with trying to by a house and raise loads of money by December time.
I would like to do this Trek but I think I should do it next year when I have some spare time, maybe once I have settled into my new property - then I can devote most of my time to fundraising. I was really looking forward to doing it - it's quite a challenge but I think I was trying to be superwoman and do it all. Buying a house can be very stressful, so I'm told!

Thanks for the advice and for letting me know about other events you do - such as the 5 day walks.

Could you answer a few more questions?

What sort of age groups go on these Treks and how big are the groups?

I really want to do the India Trek, so I presume you will be doing this one again next year..?

Thanks again, this has been very helpful.

Also, thank you Anne for all your advice too.

Much appreciated.

Kat

Jan 24, 2005
London
Hi Nada,

Thanks you've been a great help!!

I'm looking forward to doing one of these events!

Gill Bevington

May 12, 2005
Nottingham
Fund Raising

I am doing a sposnsored bike ride in November for Alzheimer's and have so far raised/had pledged £1600 out of £2500. I have raised most of this through emailing people I know and through work. I am also going to do a raffle at work. People seem very willing to donate raffle items. I also intend doing car boot sales.

Any other ideas will be very welcome.